Please help ASAP! I only have 2 days.

Discussion in 'ID Requests' started by skywindsurfer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

An aquarium store near by just got in 3 Octopi. I'm pretty sure one is either a bimac or a mercatoris. Not, but it has a yellowish brown ring around it's false eye spot. The other two I have no idea. They were all supposedly caught in the Caribbean but the store doesn't know their species. They are holding the smaller of the three for me for only two days so I can figure out it's species. Can anyone help me before it's too late and it gets sold? I'm attaching some photos I took with my camera phone. Sorry about the quality. The octo would rarely sit still. The only physical info I can give is that before they moved the rock so I could see it better was that it was a dark reddish brown. Once it got out it turned milky white with only the tip of it's mantle pinkish red and it showed two black dots on the very tip of it's mantle. It's eyes and mantle look kind of like the acuelatus in size comparison and ratio, except it has a really small mantle compared to the rest of it's body and the eyes protrude outward from the body like the acuelatus. So any info would help. Quickly please.

Attached Files:

2. TDean

TDean Cuttlefish Registered

idk i think it looks like a small briareus.

3. skywindsurfer

This is the other unidentified octo they have. Any help with this one would be great too. Thanks. Again I'm sincerely sorry about the picture quality.

Attached Files:

4. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

The first one looks like something from the abdppus complex the second octo looks like an briauses. Where is this fish store?

5. skywindsurfer

The first one is smaller then a cell phone. Maybe a full body length of 2-3 inches. The store is in Dallas, TX. So how big do you think the first octo will get?

6. skywindsurfer

Could the first octo be an Octopus Joubini the small-egg Caribbean pygmy octopus?

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am comfortable with calling the first a briareus (arm length to mantle ratio, capture location and coloring in second photo) and the second hummelincki (capture location, cripsis, arm to mantle ratio, eyespot in second photo), neither will do well in a 30 gallon tank. The briareus would out grow the tank before you could cycle another.

8. Tommycs

Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

I agree with D, definitely a briareus for the first one and the second most likely hummelincki, but the only thing is that fletcher, no matter what color he is always has a purplish color to his suckers. This one doesn't seem to, also I don't see any ocelli, But this could be me over analyzing, D's probably right.

9. DWhatley

Tommy, What you are looking for is on target with my observations. Enlarge the second top picture, the ocelli is there and in the proper color sequence for hummelincki. Enlarge the third (bottom left) and you can make out the rings on the suckers and a purple cast.

10. bluespotocto

I have been lookin for a hummelinli for a long time! What is the fish store called and do they have a website(asuming u don't want the hummelinki)? Or the phone number would work? About how big is the hummelinki also?

11. skywindsurfer

Is the hummelinki smaller then the briareus? Oh and thanks for the help everyone.

12. DWhatley

Hummelincki size is a bit of a mystery. Their arms at rest are usually about 2.5 times their mantle length (much shorter than briareus) but the preserved sizes vary drastically. I have had one that brooded at the size of a dwarf but my two males were much larger. Maya is twice the size of Serendipity and I have yet to determine if she is about to brood with a mantle length of close to 2"

13. bluespotocto

If that first one is a braiuse then why is it out with the lights on? I dont see any green in any of the first photos either.

14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

First is O. briareus.

Second looks like possibly O. hummelincki.

15. DWhatley

:smile:Look a little more closely at the photo, the little briareus is in a critter keeper. If you enlarge the pictures, you will also see the little fluorescent dots that give the green sparkles under some lighting. If you look at the first photos of SueNami you will see that the green is not always displayed but you can find the dots in the skin. The all brown/pinkish mantle and head with white arms is also a typical briareus display.

16. skywindsurfer

Well the first one was only out because we disturbed him by moving the rocks as to see him better. Before I only noticed the other two because the first was hiding under a pile of rocks.

17. bluespotocto

Oh, thanks. I was just asking because they didnt look like the species you were all saying. Thanks for the ids.

18. skywindsurfer

19. TDean

TDean Cuttlefish Registered

I never heard of this website before but that is a good deal for a briareus.
    All i have been seeing for sale are baby briareuses i thought they didn't mate or hatch until it was warmer.

20. DWhatley

Octopuses mate and brood year round but there is a tendency for more to be born in late winter/early spring (or at least it seems so) One of the reasons for seeing briareus right now is that it is lobster and crab season and the trappers seem to be becoming more aware of a market for these nuisance animals that invade their traps and eat their profits.

I read a news release near the end of last year's crab season (spring) that some crabbers stopped before the season ended because the octos were eating most of their catch. This would suggest a bumper year for octos this past winter/spring and we may be seeing the results of the higher numbers now. The primary octo that invades the traps in the Keys is the briareus.