• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Please calm me this nice Sunday :)

Bingocaller

Hatchling
Registered
So I got a batch of S. Ban eggs.

To my great joy 6 has puppies has emerged. 1 thursday and 3 yesterday - and 2 as we are speaking

They are swimming a bit round but mostly staying at the bottom with the other none hathed eggs.

Could you please answer me these question :

1. Should I remove the hatched eggs?
2. One seems to not have made it out of the egg - should I remove this one
3. How long with it take them to start feeding?
4. Is it normal that they are very dosily - only moving around a bit - sometimes I think the are dead but I can se the colour changes

All help will be very appricaited

Attachments

• conv_305161.jpg
    conv_305161.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 133
  • conv_305162.jpg
    conv_305162.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 147
I've never bothered to remove the eggs of S. pacifica. I'd give the stuck on a chance, then maybe remove if it appears to be dead. They'll start feeding almost immediately! I have no experience with this species, but my S. pacifica certainly behave just like this!

Good luck with the inklings!

Jean

:welcome: They do not move a lot at first, so as long as they are changing color, you should be fine. What are you planning to offer for food? If there are more eggs to hatch, I wouldn't move the empty egg cases.

If the hatchling starts to float, then you should worry, other than that, you should be ok.

How big is your tank? It looks small, do you have another tank for when they grow bigger?

I cannot speak for S. bandensis but for my brief experience with hatching S. officinalis I can say:

1. Removing hatched eggs didn't seem to be a problem
2. I'd wait on removing any late bloomers until you're confident that they will never hatch
3. Most started feeding immediately (but not in large quantities so you may not see it right away)
4. A lack of movement is pretty common especially when first hatched. As they grow older in the next couple weeks they hopefully will begin to move around more! The ones I observed stayed near the bottom as well and stuck pretty consistently with a disruptive body pattern.

Hope this is helpful...

Thank you all - my plan is to feed them with live artemia on thursday when I get them. Later on live smal shrimps.

I have a much bigger tank for them :smile: - this is just the nursery

The one i thought had problems comming out the egg - I dont think is a squid - but a small white anemony who lives in an old egg!

Brine shrimp have been shown to be eaten and not provide the nutrition needed to sustain the cuttles. It would be best not to use them at all as it will fill them up but they will starve.

Live artemia are not a good choice. See how they do on the small shrimp. They can eat food that is at least as big as their mantle. Also, you generally want to have the live food available before they hatch - Thursday is a long time to wait for their first meal.

I got my life food yesterday - but the cuttles wont feed? its seems like they are more scared of the food then the food is of them! I have tried live mysis and artemia with no luck! The artemia swam into the head of the cuttles and the cuttles got scared! I really cant see any eyes on them - the are just white/pale all over! But still changing colour to brown sometimes

# Yesterday due to a broken heater the temp. dropped to 21 degress c. - could this be the problem?

# I have no bottom sand/gravel in my hachery net - could this be the problem?

# All my values are in spec - well expect temp - I bought a new heater today

# Temp is normaly 25 degress and salinity 1.025/26

Any good ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back