Plants for octo tank?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by SabrinaR, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

My tank looks pretty boring these days as there is really nothing in either of my octo tanks.

I noticed that Live Aquaria has a few plants for sell and I was thinking of putting some in the tanks.

Any of these... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=490

Tell me what you think and/or if there are any that I should stay away from.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

With the exception of the mangroves, they are all macro algaes and all are find for an octopus aquarium but may not live long (IME). I like to keep a piece of Halimeda, shaving brush or sea pansy (mermaids fan) in the sand infront of my LR just to add the green color. You might also look at sponges and/or gorgonians to add a little color.

The gracilaria, sea lettuce and cheato will float and come apart. I find them better suited for a refugium or my food tanks than for a display. Some gracilaria will root to rocks but not the kind pictured.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Nice looking shells will also help add color and you don't need to worry about them being damaged by the octopus.

Nancy