Plans for ammonite diversity illustration

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by Allonautilus, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Allonautilus

Allonautilus Cuttlefish Registered

Hi all,

I have plans to make a large illustration showcasing the diversity of ammonoids, possibly along with other shelled cephalopods. Something reminiscent to those 'prehistoric animals' lineup posters common for science classrooms, as seen here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/c8/74/67c8745f24e3b71e939f35db3fb493ab.jpg

Incidentally, they will be reconstructions and may require a large number of speculative elements, given what we know about ammonoid soft bodies. I would like to emphasize the diversity of lifestyles and habitats, e.g. colorful reef(?) ammonites side by side with streamlined epipelagic species, along with planktonic heteromorphs. I know for sure I will include my personal favorite genera such as Parapuzosia, Placenticeras, and Turrilites.

I am also thinking of taking cues from living argonauts and other pelagic planktivorous/gelatinovorous cephalopods. This footage here shows them displaying their flared arm pairs, possibly acting like fins and providing some lift:

The issue being, I have no idea which species/genera should fit the designated niches. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following:
    1. Tropical reef dweller
    2. Algal raft-associated species (if any)
    3. Cold-water species (if any)
    4. Streamlined open water species, possibly predatory (Placenticeras?)
    5. Smaller pelagic species, possibly with iridescent shells
    6. Sexually dimorphic species
    7. Deep-sea dweller
    8. Planktonic genera (Heteromorphs?)
    9. Other unique niches perhaps?
    On the matter of the genera I'd like to include, I still have no idea how to reliably depict Parapuzosia. What sort of ecosystem did it live in? Any guesses on its diet?

Furthermore, have we reached any consensus on how aptychi are supposed to function? How about the arms?

Any help will be very appreciated.

tonmo and Architeuthoceras like this.
  2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Allonautilis,

This is an interesting project. Hope you get some assistance.

The paper nautilus in the video move a lot more quickly than I imagined. I've only seen photos before.

Nancy

Allonautilus likes this.
  3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Yes, very cool. Would love to see the finished product. Just for slight reference, years ago, @Phil offered the following table, but it doesn't offer the detail you're looking for; it's much more broad.

Family Tree of Cephalopods

Architeuthoceras likes this.
  4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Allonautilus likes this.
  5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Allonautilus likes this.
  6. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

see

Westermann, G.E.G., 1996. Ammonoid life and habitat. In: Landman, N.H., Tanabe,
    K., Davis, R.A. (Eds.), Ammonoid paleobiology, Topics in Geobiology, volume 13.
    Plenum Publishing, New York, pp. 607–707.

Should give you some great ideas. One of the finest and most concise proposals I've seen, has yet to be outdone in my opinion.

tonmo, Allonautilus and DWhatley like this.
  7. Allonautilus

Allonautilus Cuttlefish Registered

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your kind comments! And that's a very beautiful illustration by Takashi Ito - wish I can work with color pencils like that.

@Architeuthoceras I've been unable to obtain a copy of the publication, however I do have Klug et al.'s (2015) Ammonoid paleobiology: From anatomy to ecology, would that suffice? I do see numerous citations on Westermann's work in the book, including this very tantalizing snippet on speculative ejectile tentacles, Ancyloceratine umbrella-arms and velar webs.

I do have Tsujita & Westermann's (1998) Ammonoid habitats and habits in the Western Interior Seaway, which gave me some solid foundations for Placenticeras, Rhaeboceras, Baculites and scaphitids.

Are there any places online where I can download Westermann (1996) somehow?

I hope to update this thread with preliminary sketches quite soon!

8. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Lukeneder, Alexander. Ammonoid habitats and life history. Ammonoid Paleobiology: From anatomy to ecology. Springer Netherlands, 2015. 689-791.

is OK,

but I would try to get a copy of Westermanns 1996 paper, interlibrary loan or something, any artist drawing ammonoids needs a copy ;)

DWhatley likes this.