• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Planning tank..(Opinions needed)

Gravesly- yes, there will be some different ideas here in comparison to a typical reef. Ive kept cephs for years, but some of this design is still new to me, so well see if it works!

dwhatley-No need to fill the drawer with water, because water isnt meant to stay in it. It should trickle down through drip plate, then through the bio bale.Then through the drawer to the next level (Cut the bottoms out) This provides a very high-oxygen environment for the bacteria. Only a few inches of the bottom chamber is under the water line. This drawer would be filled only with bio bale, so would not need to actually be opened unless I need to clean it. Hopefully my drip plate with the filter media does its job, so cleaning the bio bale will be unnecessary. As for the maker, I would not be able to tell you. I got it at a local Asian variety store that sells something of everything.

Larger particulate matter prob does pass though the skimmer. The reason my current plan does not involve the return of the skimmer to go through the wet dry i because the wet dry is higher then the output. I can look into raising the skimmer, but its pretty tall as it is. If not, an option would be to have another media tray inbetween the skimmer outpu and the sump. This is what I do with my current tank using a recirc skimmer.

Ill need to think about this a little.

Keep the comments coming!

Just did some quick measuring and I may be able to get the skimmer output to go into the wetdry by raising the skimmer a few inches and lowering the wetdry a couple.

Gravesly- do you think the 90degree elbow on the intake of the pump will affect it? Im not an expert with water dynamics, but I would only expect there to be back pressure if the 90 degree elbow was placed AFTER the output.

90 degree el's are generally a no no on the intake to a pump because the restriction they cause will decrease flow, but may also cause cavitation - lots o little bubbles. One way you can deal with this would be to use vinyl tubing from the tank to the input of the pump in a gentle curve, swirl or circle. Though a straight connection to the tank would be best.

IMO, two drains are better than one - less chance of a system wide clog. If you can have both of them feed the skimmer then all your water leaving the tank will be skimmed.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back