• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Planning a new tank, looking for some answers

Are you looking for a complete set up, ex. Tank, stand, hood? Becasue you should be able to get like a 60G (just tank) for around 60 bucks. Or at least I can here.

Just the tank. I have no idea if there has been copper in the acrylic, I just figured because of the lack of silicon itd be safe.

Its not drilled, but I plan to have a friend drill it for me. And unfortionatly around here tanks are super overpriced

Hmmm...an interesting point. Acrylic does not stain from using copper, so I would imagine the chelate would not be able to hold onto the plastic in any toxic levels.
Any of you have experience with this?

greg

Some of our display tanks are acrylic, and the copper can get into the fittings but as for the tank itself??? course ours are cylindrical so there is silicon present. Not much help I know but unless you can find out for sure I'd go a new tank every time.

J

hmmm, conflicting opinoins. If it doesnt stick to the acrylic, and their are no seams or fittings, it should be good right? I want a new tank, but Im only 17 and have lots of other stuff to pay for right now too

I reckon you should be OK, copper doesn't get into the glass of a regular aquarium just the "softer" bits! The only thing is I would check very very carefully that the acrylic aquarium has no scratches.....I don't know if the copper would stick to the roughened surface or not.....octopus ink does :roll: !

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back