• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Photos from the Museum of Natural History, Vienna

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Last week I was in Vienna, and visited the Museum of Natural History. Besides many many other highly interesting things, there were also some really interesting fossils and some nice reconstructions of cephalopods, which could be interesting for some of you, so I wanted to post some photos I made.

Attachments

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Now something for Aptychus-fans. This wonderful and highly interesting ammonite (probably from Solnhofen) has not only a preserved aptychus, but also preserverd contents of its stomach, which consists of relics of some kind of crustaceen and mini-aptychi of other ammonites (second picture).

Attachments

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Some great photos Sordes, looks like a very good museum.8-)

I've heard or read somewhere that ammonoids mostly ate other ammonoids or young ammonoids, very cool to see they also ate crabs, and probably like living cephs just about anything they could grab.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Cairnos;94235 said:
Shouldn't be too hard to sneak a cell phone past them :wink:

erm .......Mine doesn't take photo's! When I bought it I told the salesgirl that I wanted one that just phoned, no wap, no video, no pictures, just phoning...............I must've come across a little forcefully, because she asked in small voice..."is it OK if it texts?" :oops: :grin:

J

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Jean;94237 said:
erm .......Mine doesn't take photo's! When I bought it I told the salesgirl that I wanted one that just phoned, no wap, no video, no pictures, just phoning...............I must've come across a little forcefully, because she asked in small voice..."is it OK if it texts?" :oops: :grin:

J
Mine has a small hatch in the back to put the coal in so I'm afraid I can't take pics either. The old museum used to have a good marine section, not sure what the new ones like. Should probably go have a look

Members online

No members online now.