[Octopus]: Phoenix-second chance mercatoris

Unfortunately I have no idea... I'm no expert. If I recall correctly... they can be in hiding for quite some time. But I don't recall the upper boundry of that... @DWhatley?

DWhatley told me that they tend to hide until they have some size and age to them, somewhere around 5 months old. They start to come out more, explore, let you see them, etc. Our octopus is nocturnal, and we tend to feed her around 10pm.
I've been keeping my tank stocked with hermits, adding a few as she eats them. Luckily, I know where mine is living (for now) and Taba has been taking food and hunting.

If you leave various sized hermits in your tank, look for dropped empty shells, around there is where your octopus could be hiding.

Usually, but not always you will see the carcass when they pass away (depending on the octo size and the efficiency of the clean up crew). If it was female, she may have laid eggs and be brooding. I don't recommend disassembling the rockwork to look for it until at least 2 weeks after the last known meal.

Here are a two links to successful O. mercatoris hatchlings. Both of these attempts continued to be successful for an additional generation. The initial journals have links to the subsequent hatchling journals. In each case only 5 animals survived. The final (3rd gen) hatchling groups did not produce females to try to extend further and neither of us were able to obtain additional females to improve the genetic mix.
Trapper - DWhatley
Varys - GHolland

I would suggest getting a few breeder nets and placing 3 - 5 in each net along with small shells to use as dens. You will need some very tiny food (frozen Cyclop-eeze is no longer available but there are other frozen cyclops - small crustacean shrimp - that should work). I recommend pipette feeding at least twice a day until they are readily taking live shore shrimp. Do not introduce shore shrimp until they are as large as the shrimp or the reverse predator/prey situation will occur.

Well I for one congratulate you; even though prospects are dismal, I wish you the best of luck with "your" little brood here :smile: Even if you have zero takers, it's an experience you won't soon forget. All the best to you, brother...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back