Phil offline - probably.

Ohhh Noooo....Looking back I see you had issues with it in November.....Best of luck to you Phil....Again....I offer computer whiz son.....I'll ship for free!!!!! But you'd have to keep him awhile....Anyway.....Good luck!!!!! Could we ship you a harddrive?????? And I second the dell!!! They have some great deals going on right now......

Thanks for the offer Carol, I'll pay for the postage and packing for your son to come over willingly!

By chance I've just managed to log on, but I've had to do a complete system restore from scratch. I've lost all my old e-mails (inc. some articles from Steve), and many of my documents, pictures, applications and saved music. Even now this machine is acting erratically and is prone to switching off at random intervals.

So I can only apologise again, I have no idea when I can get all this sorted out, but please don't take silence from me as a bad sign, it's merely a temporary, albeit major, technical hitch.

By the way, I found two excellent 50 mya sharks teeth on the Isle of Sheppey off the Kent coast today. Someone I met there showed me a fantastic fossil nautilus he had found just ten minutes before, typically I did not have my camera on me so I've no photo to show you all. Maybe next time, whenever that is......

Au revoir,

Phil

Phil,

I third the Dell, although if you want to cross-over and join us heretics on the other side, my Mac G-5 (we've always been PC folk, but the industry standard for SFX, graphics, or animations is definitely Mac, so we joined the betrayers to stay competitive) hasn't let me down yet. Of course it's new, so that might be why...

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Erich

Hi Phil,

Hope you find an alternative PC to work on while you get yours fixed.
Computers are a real bother when they're not working right.

All things being equal, I'd pick the Mac!

Nancy

Man -- hang in there, Phil! I think it's traumatic to lose a) Internet connectivity and b) valuable data as you have.

Let me know if / when you'd like me to re-send any old emails you sent to me or the staff, or that I sent to you / the staff. I keep a complete archive, going back to the last millenium.

I'm a Dell guy as well, Dell is a great company and my machine has been terrific. Don't think you can go wrong w/ a Mac, either.

I wouldn't worry about losing anything I sent you - I probably made it up anyway :wink:

Reminds me ... owe a few people a few parcels. Hmmmmmm. Thankfully I have some time on my hands now - finally!

Phil,

If you go Mac, you might consider the new(ish) Mac Mini. It's just a wee aluminum box containing a hard drive, optical drive and all the necessary ports. Plug your old machine's monitor, keyboard and mouse into it, and voila. It's the least expensive of the Macintosh line. Macs are very reliable, and enjoy a certain level of viral immunity (Microsoft platforms are a much more inviting target).

Good luck with all this, and I'm very, very sorry for the lost data. An awful feeling.

Your pal,

Clem

hey phil...

maybe this is a dumb thing to say.
maybe it isn't.

i'm not too sure.

fact is...i check in on you guys(yes...i'm still lurking out there)from the library.

inconveinient as that sounds...it IS an option.

good luck! =)

Phil,

I'm going to agree with Clem on this one, definitely. While I love our giant-screen G5, the main reason we went with this one was strictly a matter of being able to see more detail for animation/art purposes. It certainly cost more than we would have liked to spend, but unfortunately it was what we needed. Good luck, and hope to hear from you soon!

Erich

:sad:

I guess that this is a bad error message to get on the home PC

"Primary Master Hard Disk Fail"

.... and no matter how many times you turn the thing on and off .... it doesn't advance past this message (in other words, it doesn't seem to want to fix itself).

Phil, looks like we're in the same boat ... am now restricted to checking out online during the day.

Tempting providence maybe, but I think I'm safe to say I'm back. One new motherboard and hard drive later, thank goodness the machine was still under guarantee. Thanks for all your advice above everyone.

Where does one begin to catch up? So many interesting posts to read!

Shanlyn's pc got hit hard too...but it is older anyway, so time for a replacement...glad to hear you are back online, it hasn't been the same without you !!!!
greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back