• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Pheromones and hormones during reproduction season

G'day again all

hope you enjoyed the pictures posted of our Giant Cuttle

I have a new question that maybe someone may be able to help me with

During the spawning season do Cuttles ( specifically Sepia apama ) release any Pheromones or hormones in to the water ?

reason I ask is last night I acquired what I believe to be a female and would like to put it on the same system (separate tank) to our male cuttle

reason I ask is I have had problems in the past with tropical freshwater fish linked on one system in which on tank spawned causing the other tank to brawl (was a male only tank and they could smell the female , well that's what I assume)

so does any one have any experience with this problem with cuttles or are they much more reliant in visual communication in the courtship and attracting a mate (clearly a dominant feature of spawning in cuttles)

any advice or direction to information would be greatly appreciated

thanks again in advance

K

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back