PGO and Other Critters at Wall Beach

Tom Hlavac

GPO
Registered
See earlier posts for description of Wall Beach's geographic context. This video has a clip of a PGO in it's den, deep at around 100 fsw if I remember right.

Not an octopus video, these guys are a predator of octopus (and pull your fins, reg hoses, etc). I was diving solo, so easy for them to sneak up. I like the straight on collision course hello one of these gave me :wink: Good thing I use a wetsuit ....

I just listened to the video again, they were barking underwater (the pair engaged in mating behavior in the distance), then I yelled again at one sneaking up behind me. My breathing rate was higher than normal, because I was on alert mode, not relaxed fully. The sea lions have a pullout on the log booms a ways along the shoreline, usually they ignore divers but sometimes come to check us out, or pull on fins. I don't wear a snorkle because the sea lions sometimes pull at that (don't want to lose my mask so easily).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back