• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

PGO and Other Critters at Wall Beach

Tom Hlavac

O. vulgaris
Registered
See earlier posts for description of Wall Beach's geographic context. This video has a clip of a PGO in it's den, deep at around 100 fsw if I remember right.

Not an octopus video, these guys are a predator of octopus (and pull your fins, reg hoses, etc). I was diving solo, so easy for them to sneak up. I like the straight on collision course hello one of these gave me ;) Good thing I use a wetsuit ....

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Loved the "barking" the camera picked up. Do they do that in the water or is the noise from one with its head above?

Tom Hlavac

O. vulgaris
Registered
I just listened to the video again, they were barking underwater (the pair engaged in mating behavior in the distance), then I yelled again at one sneaking up behind me. My breathing rate was higher than normal, because I was on alert mode, not relaxed fully. The sea lions have a pullout on the log booms a ways along the shoreline, usually they ignore divers but sometimes come to check us out, or pull on fins. I don't wear a snorkle because the sea lions sometimes pull at that (don't want to lose my mask so easily).

Members online

No members online now.