PGO and Other Critters at Wall Beach

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Tom Hlavac, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Tom Hlavac

Tom Hlavac O. vulgaris Registered

See earlier posts for description of Wall Beach's geographic context. This video has a clip of a PGO in it's den, deep at around 100 fsw if I remember right.

Not an octopus video, these guys are a predator of octopus (and pull your fins, reg hoses, etc). I was diving solo, so easy for them to sneak up. I like the straight on collision course hello one of these gave me ;) Good thing I use a wetsuit ....

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Loved the "barking" the camera picked up. Do they do that in the water or is the noise from one with its head above?

3. Tom Hlavac

I think that was me yelling at the thing for p00ping right in front of me. Foul mannered beasts ;)

4. Tom Hlavac

I just listened to the video again, they were barking underwater (the pair engaged in mating behavior in the distance), then I yelled again at one sneaking up behind me. My breathing rate was higher than normal, because I was on alert mode, not relaxed fully. The sea lions have a pullout on the log booms a ways along the shoreline, usually they ignore divers but sometimes come to check us out, or pull on fins. I don't wear a snorkle because the sea lions sometimes pull at that (don't want to lose my mask so easily).

DWhatley likes this.