Pgmy Octo

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by beckalexis, Jan 29, 2003.

1. beckalexis

beckalexis Larval Mass Registered

I am in the market for a pygmy octopus. Does anyone know a place online I can order one from? Also, what is the scientific name of this species? Thank you!

2. manny

manny O. bimaculoides Registered

I have a pigmy octopus I would part with but I'm in new york were are you from ?
    It's a nice little octo but only comes out when the lights go out I turn on a red light and I can wach it the red light doesnt bother it

Manny

3. beckalexis

beckalexis Larval Mass Registered

Thanx for the offer, but I'm in Utah and I 'm afraid the little guy would become to stressed from all the traveling. But I would like to know more about your experience! How old is he? How long have u had him? How has your experience been? Do you have a picture? Why do you want to part with him? Thanks!

4. manny

Hi Beckalexis

Well as far as my pigmy it died two days ago I felt so bad waching it move around by forcing water thru its mantle crashing into everything its legs couldnt move and a fiddler crab was starting to eat it .

It was a cute little thing but only came out at night . The only way to see it was with red light any other light it would run for cover . With the red light you couldnt see the little bursts of color changing in it .

I read somewhere in this forum about not getting pigmys because they can be full grown at only a couple of inches with days left to live but that was all I could find in stock and after waiting for my tank to set up I couldnt wait to get something in there I ngot lucky it lived one month it seems like I got it a week ago .

I have a 72 gallon tank so I divided it and bought another octo a week after the pigmy this one is a vulgaris I think but is very shy now wthat the pigmy died I ordered a bimac from fishsupply.com and got it today it is great it ate as soon as I took it out of the bag it dosnt seem as shy as the others and its colors are beautiful its only been 4 hours since I got it and I am so glad I did .

5. manny

by the way I got a call from thatfishplace.com they have pigmys in stock for $19 the shipping will probably cost more than $20 whenever I called them I got an answering machine but they call me back the next day I belive they are in PA

GOOD LUCK !!!

6. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hi Manny

Congratulations on your two new octo's!!! Was it Gollum that passed away or am I confused? Anyway, sorry to hear but that's wonderful you have your new ones! I am so itching for another octopus! Hermin is doing wonderfully! Getting big!

Carol :)

7. manny

no somebody else has gollum but thanks anyway

8. reefan

reefan Blue Ring Registered

I have seen the ones at that pet place. I did not have time to look them over very well, but they are nice. Only about the size of a quarter.
    JJ
    BTW yep here in lancaster PA