• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

PETCO $1 per gallon sale

My mother doesn't like the fact that she will never see them, and nothing else can be in there, So I'm probably only going to be able to keep a 20 in my room with one octopus. She also hates that they will probably only live for a couple of months before senescing.
Does anyone have CB mercs? Does Tom's carribean do special orders?

We typically see the mercs show up in the fall and winter. This last year we did not see many at all, I'm hopuing for a better season this year. You can contact Tom but he will tell you the same thing. that he doesnt get them until the fall. You should also check ebay. there was a guy selling them there, but they were a little expensive if you ask me.

Sadly we have not gotten to a point where CB anything in the octopus family is available with anything close to regularity. Once every couple of years (at best) there will be enough surviving hatchlings to sell/share but with the mercs, the keeper can usually support the small number of survivors without needing to rehome them (4-5 has been the small sampling number of merc survivors).

Tom does not collect his own octopuses but buys them from the local crabbers. Buying from Tom is kind of a win-win in that the crabbers get something more than bait for the loss of the crabs, Tom has something interesting to offer the public, the octopus is not killed and we have a semi-regular supplier. Crabbing season is over for this year though so if he should have one or two for sale they will be from local divers or happen upons.

Other merc suppliers are typically live rock farmers who find them as by-catch in their LR. These are most often seen on eBay and we no longer have a "regular" that posts in availability.

When a TONMO member sees any octo for sale, they usually post to the octopus availability thread so if you "subscribe" to it, you will get an email notice when someone posts

I emailed the guy at Tampa Bay Saltwater, and he said he gets 'dwarfs' in all the time during the Winter, but rarely in the Summer. I'm thinking about setting up a tank for dwarfs using a tank from this sale... :roll: (MTS is killing me :wink:)

Well, I've only been keeping a reef for 2 months, and so am probably only going to actually get the octopus next Febuary or March.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back