Perry - Abdopus?

smeans

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Perry arrived at our LFS last Thursday (8/18) and seems to be settling into the tank pretty well. We had five hermit crabs in there while we were getting the tank up and running and I think Perry has eaten them all by now. The first couple of days he just hid in a hole in the live rock, but now he's very active both during the day and at night. My son named it Perry, but we're not sure of the sex. Here are a couple of pics. I'm going to set up a live webcam this week, I'll share the link when it's up.

Attachments

• conv_304539.jpg
    conv_304539.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_304538.jpg
    conv_304538.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_304537.jpg
    conv_304537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Well, the entire reason for the octopus in the first place is my son. He's 11 now and has been fascinated by octopuses for a long time. I mean, he refused to learn to swim until he understood that to learn to SCUBA dive so he could see an octopus he would have to be able to swim. His sister just went away to boarding school, and he was getting lonely, so I agreed to start the octopus project to help give him something to focus on. At first he was going to call the octopus Octavius, but since he's been watching a lot of Phineas and Ferb lately he decided to call it Perry (after Perry the Platypus).

Love it! Most parents of ceph fans that find their way here are brought by a facination with giant squid so it brings a big smile to have a youth already enamored with an octopus (I was about 13 when I fell in love with them) :biggrin2:

Ok, I got in an infrared web cam, but the picture quality is pretty terrible. You guys are welcome to check it out:

http://octocam.dyndns.tv
user: perry
password: (none -- leave it blank)

I'm going to work on the lighting issue. Unfortunately the manual that came with the camera was in Engrish, and it took a long time to configure based on the semi-coherent instructions.

I am only seeing a blank screen but it is almost 1:00 AM so it may be off for the day or too dark.

off topic but ...
I received an e-mail about at home work translating Engrish to English and wrote back to learn more since it would be great if instructions were usable. Likely the solicitation was of an unhealthy nature though as I mentioned moral and legal in my response and have not hear back from them.

You're best off viewing through Chrome, FireFox, or Safari, probably. I've not tried it with Internet Explorer, my guess is it won't work out of the box. I'm looking at it now, it's kind of hard to interpret, but he's sitting in a hole in the top of his live rock like the engineer in a locomotive right now :smile:

Engaging Gecko and attempting viewing.
Nope FF won't display it either but now I get a second black square inside the larger one and fewer options. Trying to take a snapshot of the black screen with the black inner box give a cgi error. I suspect you can see it because you are directly attached but I will give Chrome a go momentarily.

I was able to get to it tonight with Chrome but my version keeps crashing (I don't think it is the vidcam causing the issue).
It seems to be working fine with FF now, I may have been short on memory last night. He seems to just be chillin' at the top of a rock.

I guess I can write up how I did it, if it will help everyone out. I'm a software developer for a living, so this stuff is pretty routine. Keeping an octopus healthy on the other hand...

I am also a developer but have never set up a successful vid cam (could not get my router numbers to the provider at the time) so this would be an excellent share:wink:

Looking at my pictures of Espy and thinking about Mucktopus' comments, I don't believe they are the same species. Perry shows the overlong and thicker front arms of both the Macropus (Perry is definitely NOT the macropus found in the same location as many of the abdopus) and the aculeatus where Espy's arms are shorter proportionately and of mostly equal thickness and length. Length is not always a good go by since they lose parts arms in various ways but the thickness at the base would be constant.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back