• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Peroniceras

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Peroniceras haasi? from the Mancos Shale in Utah. Late Cretaceous (Coniacian) Scaphites preventricosus Zone. The inner whorls are broken and shifted so I dont think any more prep would help. Just something to post until some of this snow melts and I can get out and look for more. :boohoo:

Attachments

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Nice find Kevin, as ever!

That ammonite has a strongly defined keel. I wonder if that feature helped maintain directional stability in the water and acted as streamlining to a limited extent?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Thanks Phil. This genus actually had 3 keels (tricarinate), the shell on this specimen is gone but the internal mold shows remnants. Although there was probably not spines on the nodes they still probably offset any advantage the keels would provide.

Members online

No members online now.