Penelope - O.Vulgaris

I hope your mom is watching :wink: and seeing how much fun you are having with your birthdays toys!

Sulley, something different about the underside? I keep thinking there are two versions of this animal. Somewhere, and I can't find the reference, I saw hummelincki(or possibly filosus) noted as dwarf and later removed from that classification. Since my larger animals have been male and the females tiny, I can't be sure if the difference is only in gender. However, one study I saw on hummelincki made specific mention of a puzzlingly large female that skewed the sizing numbers. Additionally, the small females showed very prominent eyespots but it took a while for Roy's last group of females to show them at all.

We had a little contact tonight. She was exploring the top of the tank and I put my hand a few inches in front of her where i knew she would run into it. She ran right into my hand paused a second felt around with one arm then realized it was me, and shot back to her den. Since then she has emerged and is watching TV with me. too fun :lol:

Sulley,
Yes her under side is almost always white with red. From a distance it looks like she is red on the underside but up close you cam tell she has a white belly with tons of tiny red spots. and her suckers are always either slightly red or purple.

I love her eye lids which seem to be constantly strobing between pink and white. i caught myself in a daze staring at them earlier today.:tentacle2:

Oh, now you're going start being accused of being a hoarder like D... Gorgeous, Cap'n, congratulations. Now I'm not sure where my Mom's day present should come from!

i was just reading about the different species and one site had it listed as white underside etc with no mention of the reddish peach..since we know this one came from the keys i was just trying to see if i could columbo a few pieces together...if you want to see some cool colors with the eyes capt put on atinic lights if you have them...any eye spots yet?

No eye spots yet, after looking back at other Hummelincki journals I am almost postive that is what she is, the eye spots are the only mark that I i have not seen yet.

Today she is a no show. I looked every where I could but I cant see her. I think she likely found a better den. The one sge made in the sand was right next to me and was not very hidden. I do see that some of Legg's old feeding sticks have been shuffled around in the back, but still out of reach.

Man what been up lately TONMO was down most of today today and last night? Who tripped over the power cord?!

She came out today around three took a shrimp on a stick from me, then caught two live ones and went back to her new den.
Then I was cleaning the glass and she rushed my mag flaot and dragged it back to her den, I still have got it back. I can't see it directly but I cant get a glimpse of it from it's reflection and she has it wedged in her den.

DSCN2145.jpg

Ok so because of her really cool skunk stripe pattern she displays I have decided to call her Penelope. From the Pepe Le Pew cartoon. She is the cat that looks like a skunk.

Penelope is a wonderful name for her! Did you know that we've had a number of octopuses with names from Greek mythology?

You've already taken some excellent photos and videos! Keep them coming!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back