Penelope - O.Vulgaris

the pinkish color eye is what i noticed first..i hope so as well for you capt...the eye spots are not always visible..from the ones i have had i would say more often than not the are not visible dave.....now take a good pic and send it to tom so when he gets them in he can keep them seperate.. i emailed him after tuck passed for a hummelincki and he said he never gets them

Tom has told me the same thing and for the most part he is correct (keep in mind, Tom does not collect these directly). He rarely confuses the mercs with the briareus but he has sent one joubini as a briareus (Sedna). None of my hummelinckis have come from crabbers so this is an interesting turn of events. I am wondering if the cold weather die off of the crabs has brought the hummelincki out hunting the crab traps.

Dave, if you get the opportunity, ask him if this one came from any different source than normal and explain that it is a highly desireable aquarium animal that he can charge more for if he will learn to ID it :sagrin: (unfortunately, I know there is not a lot of interest in learning to do this though).

In the light colored picture, the hour glass (my term) will show up where that dark patch is centered below and between the eyes. As Sulley mentioned the ability to turn the iris pink (once octane flashed just the iris from white to deep red with nothing else changing color - underwater it would have been very intimidating - unfortunately I only saw it once and never got a video), the yellowish green spots on the eyes (that will sometimes make a stripe from the web front, through and behind the eye) are also partially diagnostic (when you can see them :hmm:. Unfortunately, the great patterning you will see for the next two weeks will all but disappear (so take bunches of photos) in about 2 weeks after he figures out his new home is nice and safe. He is likely to approach you within the first week and try tentative touching. If you use a feeding stick, expect to let him have it until he is finished eating. Neither of my males have been as aggressive as O.briareus but you still need to work with them slowly and they will try to bring your hand into the webbing initially.

I've kept four hummelincki. Both my males denned in the LR, both my females dug out sand and denned under the LR. Both my females were tiny, both my males about the size of this one (only one female was known to be from the Keys). Both my males trained to come to my hand for attention, neither female were inclined to contact. Unfortunately, both my females (along with numerous others, including some Roy acquired at the same time I bought Maya) started brooding within two weeks and hummelincki is a small egg species (neither of mine produced viable eggs, one of Roy's two had fertile ones but he never reported on success time with the hatchlings).

I am hoping for male:fingerscrossed:.

i may be wrong but it looked like when she first started to dig the third was there first but she used the 2nd one instead when the 3rd woulda made more sense...when edward was first introduced he did dig out the sand under the live rock..as for now he is usually up before me with the natural light coming in so i havent seen him den much..good luck keep us updated..

I know I already said but man this little one is AWESOME! She has been very active ever since the lights went out in the tank. She is cruising all over and free swimming a lot, She comes over and sit in front of me and dances then she swims to the other side of the tank and explores the rocks then two or three minutes later she comes flying back over and sit in front of me and repeats. I stuck my hand in the corner of the tank where I am sitting and she came right up to my hand and rubbed her mantle all over my hand just like a cat! I cant believe this octopus, she is hilarious. If you press your hand against the glass she leaps on it. SOOOOO fun!

I need a good name for her any suggestions? I am almost positive its a female, but then again I thought she was a Briareus at first,

Hopefully the over activity will stop (but not the human curiosity). As much as it is fun, constant movement, particularly if it is random, is a sign of senescence (hopefully this is just acclimation excitement). I don't remember mine being this spunky on introduction but check my journals for Octane and OhToo. If all goes well, she will settle down and sleep at night. Be sure she has a nice dark place. Octane would pace at night when we failed to realize his night light would be white (it could be set to a number of colors but would revert to white when we lost power). He was also unhappy with the adjourning dryer vibration so I stopped drying clothes at night. O.hummelincki is my overall favorite but I am fond of all the species I have kept.

She is much more relaxed today. mostly she is sleeping on the glass in front of the den she dug.

DSCN2181.jpg

DSCN2179.jpg

DSCN2180.jpg

She just took a piece of shrimp on a stick. I held it in front of her for awhile but I dont think she knew what to think of it, then I showly touched it to one o her exposed suckers and she sucked onto it but didn't try and accept it fully so I slowly twisted the feeding stick to remove it. Once the stick was out she took the piece into her web and is eating it. Possibly video to come, I'm not sure if I caught the action.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back