Penelope - O.Vulgaris

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I pulled my remaining Stone crab traps, and came up with no octopuses so I broke down and got my next O.Briareus from Tom. :sagrin: But it appears I got a Hummelincki instead! WooHoo!

Acclimation was fast as the octopus was only in route for about an hour, and the parameters of the water in my tank were very similar to the Bag. So I dripped Her in a five gallon bucket for about an hour.

She measures at 12" spread with a 4" mantle. Tiny compared to Legs.

DSCN2161.jpg

video is coming....so are pics stand by....I need more bandwidth!

I love this little girly very energetic and fun. she also shows a lot more texture than legs did. Right now she is just hanging on the glass as close to me as she can get and she is dancing. She at a crab righ away when i dropped her tank too. I am very excited!

:octorun:

It is hard to tell how long the arms would be if you had had this one from Legs size. All of the adults we get have fed some of the local sea life while doing their own hunting. This one seems to have been able to keep most of its arms recently but has lost them in the past. They really do seem to be the perfect food if you think about it.

Good observation Sulley. The arm tapering would be right for O.hummelincki rather than having shortened arms due to predation. The peach speckled underside and that last photo shows the vaining with a possible eyespot. Oh, I do hope so because that would mean they are showing up in the Keys again. The video may make the deciding call but I believe you are correct and I am jealous!

Relooking at the photos, I am sure you have the proper ID, Sulley. Coming from Tom, I just didn't look very closely :oops:

Attachments

• conv_296349.jpg
    conv_296349.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 192
I posted a, "what to look for" picture while you were posting. This one shows all but the eye spot (which is not always visible but you WILL see it in a day or two). The light coloration photo clearly shows the markings on the eye and the brown stripe that goes from the eye to the front of the webbing. Congradulations! You will likely find this one to be very interactive.

Have a look at my threads on Octane and OhToo, I believe you will agree on the match

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back