Penelope - O.Vulgaris

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by CaptFish, May 4, 2010.

1. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I pulled my remaining Stone crab traps, and came up with no octopuses so I broke down and got my next O.Briareus from Tom. :sagrin: But it appears I got a Hummelincki instead! WooHoo!

Acclimation was fast as the octopus was only in route for about an hour, and the parameters of the water in my tank were very similar to the Bag. So I dripped Her in a five gallon bucket for about an hour.

She measures at 12" spread with a 4" mantle. Tiny compared to Legs.

[​IMG]

2. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Yeah and :welcome:

I can't wait to see more. :grin:

3. CaptFish

video is coming....so are pics stand by....I need more bandwidth!

I love this little girly very energetic and fun. she also shows a lot more texture than legs did. Right now she is just hanging on the glass as close to me as she can get and she is dancing. She at a crab righ away when i dropped her tank too. I am very excited!

:octorun:

4. sulley

sulley Wonderpus Registered

awesome dave!!!!!!!

5. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Very awesome!!

6. CaptFish

Video is uploading on youtube now should be live in just under an hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lmecher

That's fantastic, another active one. :grin:

Making :popcorn:

8. CaptFish

[​IMG]

9. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

It is hard to tell how long the arms would be if you had had this one from Legs size. All of the adults we get have fed some of the local sea life while doing their own hunting. This one seems to have been able to keep most of its arms recently but has lost them in the past. They really do seem to be the perfect food if you think about it.

10. sulley

are you sure on species?? looks more like hummelincki to me...especially last photos with the purple suckers

11. DWhatley

Good observation Sulley. The arm tapering would be right for O.hummelincki rather than having shortened arms due to predation. The peach speckled underside and that last photo shows the vaining with a possible eyespot. Oh, I do hope so because that would mean they are showing up in the Keys again. The video may make the deciding call but I believe you are correct and I am jealous!

Relooking at the photos, I am sure you have the proper ID, Sulley. Coming from Tom, I just didn't look very closely :oops:

Attached Files:

12. CaptFish

Hmmm, I dont see any eye spots. but I would be very happy with either one

13. CaptFish

She does have red on the under side which I never saw on legs.

14. DWhatley

I posted a, "what to look for" picture while you were posting. This one shows all but the eye spot (which is not always visible but you WILL see it in a day or two). The light coloration photo clearly shows the markings on the eye and the brown stripe that goes from the eye to the front of the webbing. Congradulations! You will likely find this one to be very interactive.

Have a look at my threads on Octane and OhToo, I believe you will agree on the match

15. CaptFish

SWEET!! well i will keep an eye out. and keeping posting pics too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CaptFish

Wow definitely has all the symptoms of being Hummelincki except the false eye spots, and I am not sure about the hour glass, but the rest for sure.

17. sulley

the pinkish color eye is what i noticed first..i hope so as well for you capt...the eye spots are not always visible..from the ones i have had i would say more often than not the are not visible dave.....now take a good pic and send it to tom so when he gets them in he can keep them seperate.. i emailed him after tuck passed for a hummelincki and he said he never gets them

18. DWhatley

Tom has told me the same thing and for the most part he is correct (keep in mind, Tom does not collect these directly). He rarely confuses the mercs with the briareus but he has sent one joubini as a briareus (Sedna). None of my hummelinckis have come from crabbers so this is an interesting turn of events. I am wondering if the cold weather die off of the crabs has brought the hummelincki out hunting the crab traps.

Dave, if you get the opportunity, ask him if this one came from any different source than normal and explain that it is a highly desireable aquarium animal that he can charge more for if he will learn to ID it :sagrin: (unfortunately, I know there is not a lot of interest in learning to do this though).

19. Lmecher

Wow, I am jealous. Very nice looking octopus you got there.

20. DWhatley

In the light colored picture, the hour glass (my term) will show up where that dark patch is centered below and between the eyes. As Sulley mentioned the ability to turn the iris pink (once octane flashed just the iris from white to deep red with nothing else changing color - underwater it would have been very intimidating - unfortunately I only saw it once and never got a video), the yellowish green spots on the eyes (that will sometimes make a stripe from the web front, through and behind the eye) are also partially diagnostic (when you can see them :hmm:. Unfortunately, the great patterning you will see for the next two weeks will all but disappear (so take bunches of photos) in about 2 weeks after he figures out his new home is nice and safe. He is likely to approach you within the first week and try tentative touching. If you use a feeding stick, expect to let him have it until he is finished eating. Neither of my males have been as aggressive as O.briareus but you still need to work with them slowly and they will try to bring your hand into the webbing initially.