Pass the Peanut Butter (non-ceph, but invert-related)

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by nanoteuthis, May 17, 2003.

1. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

2. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Taningia,

That horrible thing is being discussed as "Big Red: new discovery," in the Physiology & Biology forum. Someone (Melissa, I'm looking in your direction) turned the subject to the human consumption of said horrible things, and their ilk.

Please Taningia, do not remind me of such delicious food-items as raspberries, strawberries and apples, when referring to that horrible thing. Don't want any linkages developing.

Yours truly,

Clem

ps: Horrible thing.

3. nanoteuthis

Oops, is my face :oops: ! Serves me right for not visiting Physiology & Biology more often. OK then, let me pack up the PB&J and take it to P&B....

4. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

You know, some jellies do get bigger... Personally, I think that the more astounding discovery is that this particular jelly is a new Genus and Subfamily... THAT'S something you don't see every day...

"Horrible Thing"??!?! Geez, it's not a cockroach or something like that...

:P

Sushi and Sake,

John

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

6. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Great. My chances of seeing that horrible thing are doubled. Fantastic.

:x

7. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

the museum of natural history and science in San Francisco had an awesome display of live jellyfish a number of years ago...some of them bioluminesce , some just floating and pulsating around...it really was quite beautiful...just thinking about it makes me want to read "the Lathe of Heaven" again!
    Greg

8. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Somehow, I'd missed this entire thread about some of my favorite creatures. It's always a good day when I see jellyfish in NYC's East River, which is technically not a river at all but the salty water between Brooklyn (Tani's home) and Manhattan (with my shoebox).

Greg, I think I saw the show you mention above. I visited Chattanooga, Tennessee, and the Tennessee River Aquarium a few years ago. YI was in it for the jellies and expected only trout and catfish in the other tanks, but the river is surprisingly rich. They so have some salt water expositions, like the jellyfish exhibition that later went west. That show was absolutely worth finding my way to Chattanooga, so if you ever find yourself in eastern Tennessee anyone reading TONMO should try to go.

Melissa

9. Fujisawas Sake

Heads up!!

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has an exhibit called "Jellies: Living Art" that features interesting species of jellies and ctenophores side-by-side with jelly-inspired art (metal, galss, and electric sculptures). If anyone lives here in California, its definitely a must-see... Heck, the aquarium kicks major booty... Its the greatest place on Earth.

Okay, that's my plug... :heee:

Sushi and Sake,

John

10. cthulhu77

The display I saw was at the musuem of science and technology in San Francisco ...it was a small one, but quite well done! Of course, my friends were all bored with my 2 hour stint in that room, lots of toe tapping, etc...oh well. I actually took so long so I could figure out which one of the jellyfish looked the best to eat, so I could send some out east, because I know how much Clem loves to eat jellyfish. :lol:
    Greg
    p.s. don't eat the green ones, clem, they aren't ripe!

11. Fujisawas Sake

Mmmmmm.... Jellies.....

John

12. cthulhu77

Hey! I love jelly bears, and my mom used to buy me those "swedish fish"...perhaps TONMO should sell jelly-fish??? Jeez, Clem would buy it by the pound...Tony, you could be rich!!!!

13. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

if you can convert peeps into octos, why not try swedish squid? i think ill have to get some next time im at the store and see if i can rig something up....

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

14. Melissa

WK, please say more about the Peeps transformation. I am going to the candy store now to buy up all the Easter leftovers.

Melissa

15. nanoteuthis

I may have mentioned this before, but I once ordered Shredded Jellyfish (on a friend's dare) at a restaurant in Manhattan's Chinatown. It looked like sauerkraut and tasted like rubber bands. :yuck:

A word to the wise: if you really want to eat something slithery, stick to Chow Mei Fun....

16. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

go to 8legged.com....hit DFL!, under comics.... recipe comic #6

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

17. Melissa

Thanks, WK

I never noticed the comics button on DFL! That book will have to wait while I look at every single comic!

Melissa

18. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Hey I going to the Tennessee River Aquarium over the weekend! Are there going to be octos?

19. Melissa

I hate to tell you that the TRA devotes the overwhelming majority of its space to things in the Tennessee River. That said, before you think "trout, trout, catfish, trout," it's great. They are evangelistic about the river and their enthusiasm is infectious. The show of jellies was a nice coincidence with my timing. There is a large saltwater tank, but more work is put into their freshwater tanks. This is appropriate as Tennessee has no marine coast, and they use the aquarium to promote river conservation.

I was curious to see what would be included (trout, trout, catfish, trout) and I was incredibly impressed with the Tennessee River Aquarium. When I went back to Chattanooga, I went directly to the aquarium. You may leave hungry!

Have a great time! Take pictures to post if you can.

Melissa

20. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Thank you!

My mom and dad went a few weeks ago and they said it was wonderful but couldnt tell me much about what was there...failing memory.

I will try to take some pix if I can.