parents

Ryan

Hatchling
Registered
hey i was wondering how to convince your parents to let you get an octo lol. like if there any educational stuff that could come out of it or something along those lines. any advice would be appreciated. thx

If I were a parent I'd be hesitant to invest $1000+ in an octopus, especially given the transitory nature of most kids' interest.

Be that as it may, the best strategy might be to show that you're serious about it. If you're old enough to get a job you might do so and start saving towards an octopus system. Not only will that mean money to do it, but it will also demonstrate to your parents that you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Good luck!

Dan

My advice would be to wait until you have a job...thats the ONLY way you can show your serious depending on how your parents look at you. How old are you though? It might not be too far away until you can start preparing. Good luck though.

What I did was fund my own tank and it can be done I now many people who have no real job and have funded a fish tank.You just have to be ready to save alot of money. For me it was a space issue and thats what I had to talk to my parents about.

Maybe starting a small freshwater tank then slowly moving up. That way you will be able to show your parents that you are realy serious.

-Tom

I haven't paid $1000+ on my 75 reef, with an Emporer 400, AGA aquarium, stand, canopy, T5 light fixture, skimmer, and the livestock. I've maybe spent $700. I buy everything used. I got the tank, stand, canopy, filter, and heater all for $100. The T5 fixture was $200. Live rock was all from a local reefer's tank breakdown, and all livestock was also from the breakdown. You just have to be patient. Sure, I coulda bought it all new, and done it quicker, but I saved a lot of $. It did take me 2 years o get it all set up, but with an octo tank, you don't need much LR, and no other livestock.

Also learn as much as you can, local library, internet can be useful (after all you found us!!!) also if you have a local public aquarium see if they take volunteers (some do, some don't, some have an age restriction etc) But if you can that would a) show your parents you're serious and b) give you some hands on experience and quality octopus time........it may even be an alternative to having one at home. I work in an aquarium and get my octopus fix there as I simply don't have time to look after one at home (or the space!)

Hope this helps

Jean

Jean;80286 said:
Also learn as much as you can, local library, internet can be useful (after all you found us!!!) also if you have a local public aquarium see if they take volunteers (some do, some don't, some have an age restriction etc) But if you can that would a) show your parents you're serious and b) give you some hands on experience and quality octopus time........it may even be an alternative to having one at home. I work in an aquarium and get my octopus fix there as I simply don't have time to look after one at home (or the space!)

Hope this helps

Jean

Lol, I wish my aquarium would let volunteers work with the octopus after volunteering for a long time or just as a specified invertabrate feeder. According to the biologists there, you have to be a certified biologist to even go near the octopus for volunteering as in feeding, or anything.

Well, you can always have a behind the scenes tour which iv had twice, but since its not an animal on the computer thats priced for behind the scenes touring, you never know what will happen cuz you can be like me and end up paying 130 bucks if you wanna see it a second time thoroughly. The first time they'll probably let you see it for about 10 minutes, lol.

Armstrong;80331 said:
Lol, I wish my aquarium would let volunteers work with the octopus after volunteering for a long time or just as a specified invertabrate feeder. According to the biologists there, you have to be a certified biologist to even go near the octopus for volunteering as in feeding, or anything.

Well, you can always have a behind the scenes tour which iv had twice, but since its not an animal on the computer thats priced for behind the scenes touring, you never know what will happen cuz you can be like me and end up paying 130 bucks if you wanna see it a second time thoroughly. The first time they'll probably let you see it for about 10 minutes, lol.

REALLY? you guys need to move here! Behind the scenes tour NZ$18/Adult, NZ$9/child (anyone still in high school qualifies ....varsity students are adults....supposedly :lol:!) $42/family (2A + 3C although we're flexible about no's of kids!), and we let our volunteers work with the octi!

J

Jean;80459 said:
REALLY? you guys need to move here! Behind the scenes tour NZ$18/Adult, NZ$9/child (anyone still in high school qualifies ....varsity students are adults....supposedly :lol:!) $42/family (2A + 3C although we're flexible about no's of kids!), and we let our volunteers work with the octi!

J

Wow, thats a HUGE difference, lol. Very huge difference...I'd love to move there, if only I could. Whats funny is the bioligists taking care of the octopus told me I know more than they do, so I wish they would someday let me volunteer to help care for it. Here is the behind the scenes tour listing for my horrible aquarium:

Feed The Sharks: $170 per person. MUST BE AGE 14+

Swim With The Sharks: $165 per person. MUST BE AGE 12+

Sharks Up Close: $270 per person. MUST BE CERTIFIED DIVER

Hippo's Up Close/Feeding: $145 per person. MUST BE AGE 6+

Sea Turtle's Up Close/Feeding: $145 per person. MUST BE AGE 8+

Seals Up Close/Feeding: $145 per person. MUST BE AGE 8+

Sea Life Up Close: $270 per person. MUST BE CERTIFIED DIVER

Giant Pacific Octopus Up Close/Feeding: $130 per person. (Irregular Tour. Price depends on circumstances)

^ - Isn't that rediclous? Lol...and to put the cherry on top of the cake, all of these tours have rediculous time schedules...like most of them require only 2 days out of the week at a specific time in order to do it. For people like me, its difficult cuz I live 1 1/2 hours away. But for the octopus, I managed to do whatever I was told the second time...and had to arrive their right when the aquarium opened at 9:30 AM, and pay them, lol with a tour at 10:30 AM sharp.

It would be the biggest dream if the peeps gave me a call and asked me to care of the GPO on weekends on 1 day out of the week cuz i'd do it for no pay, but im getting off topic, lol.

of course we are VERY much smaller than the aquariums you're talking about, we don't hold large shark species for example and we don't do swim with sharks/fish/octopus or whatever, mainly because of the strict health and safety regs we have to follow. Our guided tours are everyday at 10.30 am (groups can come at other times by arrangement!) and we feed 2x week (cold water critters don't need too much- except the octi and the seahorses who are fed every day!) Anyone can help feed so long as they don't mind smelling of dead fish!!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back