Pardon the n00b...

kariann

Blue Ring
Registered
As I've been trolling this website I keep coming across Neil Diamond almost as much as I do cephalopods! Could someone catch me up on the significance that Mr. Diamond has in the cephalopod world? Again, pardon the n00b....
Thank you in advance!

:roflmao:

:no_diamond:

In truth I'm not even sure how it all started exactly but I do know it is related to TONMOCON, the Biannual ceph convention hosted by TONMO. Also, Steve O' Shea is involved too in some way, I'm not sure i wanna know....
There is a thread related to the subject in the supporters area, but you have to be a supporter to read it.

The beginning of the ND experience was before my time but I'll relate what I understand and let my seniors add or subtract from my comments. One of our staff members was such a Neil Diamond fan that he brought a laminated newspaper clipping to the first official TONMOCON (our biannual get together). Others on the staff and forum have a different view of Neil and his music and both pro and con social comments have been posted (including the creation of pro and con smilies) over the years. Sometime during the TONMOCON I festivities, the laminated clipping disappeared but has surfaced in different parts of the world ever since, never actually being returned to it owner :sagrin:

Thanks. I can respect inside jokes, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something huge. I was already planning on becoming a supporter in the not-too-distant-future anyway. I guess this gives me even more reason to support! (the curiosity has gotten ahold of me!)

Maybe it's the rose colored glasses, but I love it here so much. Still can't believe TONMO has existed without my knowledge for so long! :tentacle:

Here's how the ND thing started:

In 2003, Steve O'Shea's love of Neil Diamond was established, and much-derided. Towards the end of that year, his student Kat Bolstad (now a PhD), fed-up with being forced to listen to ND at work, stole a newspaper clipping from Steve's ND shrine. Steve was quite upset by that, and also upset by other things going on around him, and seemed to want cheering-up. Inspired by the "wandering gnome" meme, in which gnomes and other garden ornaments were stolen, shipped around the globe, photographed in picturesque locales and the photos sent to the mystified owners, I suggested to Kat that we give the ND clipping the gnome treatment. It was first sent to Rusty, an early TONMO member in Illinois, who laminated the clipping, and then to me. I first photographed it washing ashore after a storm on Cape Cod, accompanied by the lyrics to ND's "Coming to America." Mayhem ensued. After shepherding the clipping for a while, taking it to New York City and so on, I sent it on with a fellow traveler who took Neil to Rio and diving in the Keys. After he'd finished with it, I sent it on to another TONMO member, and it's been traveling ever since. Computing the milegae on the thing would be fun. What's the endgame? Getting it into Neil Diamond's hands. I'm sure that Steve would like to have it back. I'm also sure that he got a big kick out of the whole thing.

Welcome to TONMO.

Clem

.... almost a decade ago, and they've tormented me since with fleeting glimpses of said clipping in all manner of unsavory locals.

Perfect description Clem. I had it for a while (Sharon / Sorceress sent it to me after Erich did some good things with it), but it got dusty on my dining room table. We set it up as a give-away via a raffle at our last TONMOCON (IV, in D.C.). (winner gets to keep it until the next TONMOCON). As fate would have it, D had the winning raffle ticket. Then it sat on my dining room table for many many more months until I finally made the trip to Staples to ship it to its rightful owner. D resurrected the fun. Clem is the holder of some of the best Neil pics, and D has added many great contenders culminating with the latest (with help from Haggs). TONMO Supporters can review the NEIL DIAMOND thread which has many pages of posts and pics to peruse.

Clem;194437 said:
Here's how the ND thing started:

In 2003, Steve O'Shea's love of Neil Diamond was established, and much-derided. Towards the end of that year, his student Kat Bolstad (now a PhD), fed-up with being forced to listen to ND at work, stole a newspaper clipping from Steve's ND shrine. Steve was quite upset by that, and also upset by other things going on around him, and seemed to want cheering-up. Inspired by the "wandering gnome" meme, in which gnomes and other garden ornaments were stolen, shipped around the globe, photographed in picturesque locales and the photos sent to the mystified owners, I suggested to Kat that we give the ND clipping the gnome treatment. It was first sent to Rusty, an early TONMO member in Illinois, who laminated the clipping, and then to me. I first photographed it washing ashore after a storm on Cape Cod, accompanied by the lyrics to ND's "Coming to America." Mayhem ensued. After shepherding the clipping for a while, taking it to New York City and so on, I sent it on with a fellow traveler who took Neil to Rio and diving in the Keys. After he'd finished with it, I sent it on to another TONMO member, and it's been traveling ever since. Computing the milegae on the thing would be fun. What's the endgame? Getting it into Neil Diamond's hands. I'm sure that Steve would like to have it back. I'm also sure that he got a big kick out of the whole thing.

Welcome to TONMO.

Clem

I do understand what Kat was going through. When I visited SoS for 7 hours, I heard at least 5 hours of ND.

thanks, i was wondering about the Neil Diamond thing as well. maybe if i discover a new species of ammonoid ill name it after Junya "ZUN" Ota or Steve O'Shea. :notworth:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back