Pardon Our Dust

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by tonmo, Jun 2, 2013.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

TONMO underwent a major update... I have plenty of work to do to restore certain aspects of the site, and progress from there. But the forums are open for business!

GPO87 and DWhatley like this.
  2. tonmo

Known issues:

1) we're all "lurkers" -- awaiting an update that will fix this.
    2) will need to resurrect articles, Supporter links, etc.
    3) old forum links do not properly redirect :shock:
    4) need to restore cephy graphics
    5) who's online does not seem to properly capture users online
    6) album links don't work

3. Terri

Terri Sepia elegans Registered

Hi Tony, probably just dust but I've noticed a few posts showing me as the poster, and I didn't post!:concern:

4. tonmo

Terri thank you -- please supply examples here!!

5. tonmo

I think I found it... I've seen that octobot is posting as other people! Poor octobot... he'll be disabled until this is all repaired. Top priority right now is restoring images :shock:

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like Octobot's middle name is HAL:confused:

It looks like you need to move all the smilies to:
    http://www.tonmo.com/forums/core/images/smilies/

check the configuration where a directory for filedata is specified. Looking at some of the generated source it appears this parameter has an extra / so that it looks like: forums//filedata instead of forums/filedata

Let me know if there is a sub-project where I can be helpful.

7. tonmo

Thanks D! That does help. I have vBulletin engaged with a ticket and they are doing low-level analysis of our DB. Do not want to lose images like last time.......... I'm still learning but will delegate some stuff as soon as I can.

8. Terri

You may be aware of this already Tony, but thought I would point it out just in case. There are several threads in the fossil forums that have missing pages, in "Collecting Trips and Field Work" the thread "Ordovician in Tennessee" should have 30 pages and is showing 1, and I noticed the same issue in several other threads.

9. tonmo

Thanks Terri. I've heard that's a known bug on a limited number of installs (lucky us) being fixed in the next release. Not sure on timing of next release but I would expect soon. Have not lost the posts. BTW -- you did change your avatar, didn't you? :smile2: Want to make sure that's not another issue...

10. Terri

Yes, I changed my avatar. No issue there!

11. tonmo

+ multi-page threads are now fixed

+ images are now restored

+ smilies restored :smile: ...still a bit of clean-up required for these

:coffee:

12. Terri

Yea Tony! :notworth:

13. DWhatley

Tony, one thing I am desperately missing is the unread post list. We have a list of new posts and a go to most recent posts but not the option that keeps track of posts read by the individual. I hope this is still available or if it was an add-on it is available for the new system as I used the feature daily to keep up with new posts.

14. tonmo

No solution on that one yet D. Will follow up... but note it will likely be a week+ before more changes are made.

15. tonmo

I added a home tab which displays "what's new" info - it does not automatically filter "unread" according to what you've read, but if the topic title is bolded, it means you haven't read it yet. This should help for the time being.

16. DWhatley

Tony, I am having issues trying to post but can't quite isolate the problem. It seems to revolve around trying to post a YouTube link but even when the link is removed, I am getting the error trying to edit and save:
    Error while saving content: SyntaxError: Invalid character

After adding the link, it shows up with the embedded video and the new "Facebook" like display but when I try post I get the above message and I can't seem to isolate what is causing it. The post will not save after the error message is displayed, no matter what I try to change.

When I go back to the posts, the video is there as well as multiple posts instead of edited posts. I left the duplicates for you to view but will clean them up after you see the results and attempt to duplicate:

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/forum/ce...380#post338380

In #7 I initially tried to add the video and go the message, then tried numerous edits. Next I tried to add a comment and the video and then edit that and remove the comment. I ended up with duplicates though all of the videos gave the syntaxerror message and would not accept the final "post".

Saving seems to be extremely slow. I go another error trying to post a comment but when I went to the thread in another tab the post was OK. I am thinking there is some kind of timeout occurring, possibly an AJAX return issue. One thing I just noticed is that my comment and the videos are posted BUT the "last update" on the forum does not show them as being the most recent so I suspect the problem is somewhere in the updating where currency is maintained.

17. DWhatley

18. Christopher

Christopher Cuttlefish Registered

I tend to visit on my ipad so I don't know if these problems are universal or client specific 1. Just viewed octopus care forum and everything looked normal. Tried to make a post, gotta a syntax error, and now when I look at the forum it only shows me the stickies. No threads. And I forgot to record the syntax error 2. When I make a post, everything gets pushed together into one paragraph. 3. When I go to edit a post I am presented with an empty text box. As opposed to one with my current post in it which I can en edit. Anything I type in this blank box replaces the original post. That's it for now. I'm sure this will all get crammed together into one paragraph ;)

19. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I have been trying to add a new topic under Octopus Journals and Photos, when I try to post it returns with a SyntaxError Unexpected token, I fails to show any other journals and also when I sign in, I'm the only person online. This doesn't normally happen, these usually a few people always online.

20. tonmo

Thanks... following up.