• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

paradise pet shop eggs

I'm sure it depends on the personalities of the cuttles in question, but I am going to rear up and find homes for all but one male and a pair of females. I also have a coulpe smaller tanks ready to isolate troublesome indeviduals if they become a problem.

I gave a pair of supposed males to a friend. A week later he found eggs. a week or so later, one killed the other fighting provoked by feeding. They were in a 30g cube. I have broken up a couple fights started over food. ATM, I am feeding my pair nearly as much as they'll eat. They seem more satisfied, and tolerant (of each other) and no longer beg when I am near the tank, as they did (female mostly) when feeding frozen krill. The female wants more food than the male.
When I had more than the pair, serious fighting started at around 5 mos. old although there were squabbles much earlier.
I thought all this worth mentioning for keeping more than 1 in a smallish tank.

thanks guys. duly noted. ive actually got my sump prepared to take on and accommodate a lot more water/waste, so another tank wont be much more of an issue than setting one down, plumbing it in and filling it with water.

very gracefully put, by the way.

A couple of questions regarding optimal tank space and number of bandensis kept together (I'm posting here to avoid having a new thread, let me know if this needs to be moved).

According to experts, 1 animal can be kept in a 30 gallon tank. 2 in a 45 gallon and so on. These volumes probably refer to standard type of tanks sold at pet shops. What about custom systems with different dimensions but same volume? Should we consider length x height x depth rather than volume itself?

I started w/ 5 in a 40g breeder. By month 5, the displaying, squabbles turned fighting began to get a bit violent. I immediately gave away 3 and kept the breeding pair. Even these two will fight over food if I feed less. If I feed more they appear much more tolerant of each other.
With the 5 in the tank, I saw fights break out over territory, food, and once saw a pair mating when a 3rd one came to within about 8" of the mating pair and was attacked by the male.

rryyddeerr, do you still want a few more eggs since you got these?

im going to hold off for now. he sent me 10 eggs instead of 5. i have to wait to see if/how many hatch. the two i have are doing well, so I know there will be enough to "fill" the tank eventually. id love to luck out with a male and female.

thanks for asking. you still pumping out grapes?

@DWhatley: thanks for the reference

Sooner or later will be getting bandensis eggs, but I prefer to get them locally to be able to inspect them first. The only place I have found near NY area is

http://www.nyaquatic.com/servlet/the-829/Cuttlefish-Eggs/Detail

Sent them a couple of emails and they promptly responded: they don't know the species and they get them every 2-3 months.

So that's not an excellent choice for now, but who knows, it might end up as a cephalopod kinder surprise.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back