Pacific Giant Octopus - 2000 near Port Hardy, BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Tom Hlavac, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Tom Hlavac

Tom Hlavac O. vulgaris Registered

I don't kill octopus anymore, this one was made into very fine octopus cakes (just like fish or crab cakes). App 25-30 lbs, was off Masterman Island near Port Hardy, BC, Canada. You'll see that it was busy eating another PGO, possibly a larger one by the size of the suckers. This is actually quite common, if a large octopus encounters a smaller octopus (or weaker), it may take that animal for food. When i used to commercial dive it was common to find octopus close together, either mating behaviour or predatory. I have seen 3 X 50 pounders on the same boulder, with one to the side while the other two are battling or mating.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I'll have to admit that is a little painful to watch. However, I often remark that I keep a food animal as a pet, it is not the other way around. That being acknowledged, it is worth noting that the more one learns about our ocean critters, the more the tendency to want to protect them and their environment. This change in thinking may not change what one eats or catches to eat but it does lead to more sustainable actions. When I visit our aquarium the difference on how the kids see the animals vs their parent never ceases to amaze me, in general the kids are far more knowledgable about what they are seeing.

3. DWhatley

Octobot found an interesting article summarizing the pros and cons of hunting/eating GPO's specifically and the way we tend to look at what is currently considered appropriate with or without legislation. It is interesting to see the change in popularity from the octopus wrestling days to today's protective thinking. I think the scuba tank and diving are a major influence in the attitude change. My only Caribbean encounter with an octopus had me showing other snorkelers but then I regretted pointing it out when I saw another tourist with a spear gun and hoped I had not doomed the animal to become someone's dinner.

Seattle's Giant Pacific Octopus Hunting Scandal: One Year Later
    BY RACHEL BELLE on January 6, 2014 @ 3:54 pm(Updated: 6:04 am - 1/7/14 )

4. Tom Hlavac

Tom Hlavac O. vulgaris Registered

But we have to remember that a harvester's point of view may be just as legitimate as a conservationist's. I'm not too ashamed of being both at one time or another. Even vegans are competing with other sentient (and sometimes more deserving ?) creatures at least sometimes.

5. DWhatley

Agreed and I think the article points that out rather well. My first octopus sighting (I was about 13) was as by catch from harvesting a "rock" my mother insisted on having that we found snorkeling. As exciting as the discovery of an octopus our boat was, I can only hope that large brain coral sitting in my parents yard was already dead. Hobbyists take living things from the ocean as well. The intent is to keep them alive but the mortality rate is high both in the keeping and in the collecting. The one thing that I think we all agree on is that sustainability needs to be studied, understood and promoted.