[Squid]: Pacific Bobtail Squid

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Hi We have some Pacific Bobtails (Sepioloidea pacifica) at the Portobello aquarium, came in on a dredge and are all older animals, they've started laying eggs! Sorry about the quality of the pics, but its a round tank and hard to get a good angle!

J

Attachments

• conv_303589.jpg
    conv_303589.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • conv_303590.jpg
    conv_303590.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_303591.jpg
    conv_303591.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 118
  • conv_303592.jpg
    conv_303592.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 125
more!

I know the tank looks crowded but the other half was empty! They decided to aggregate! The white one in the last pic has passed, it just finished laying eggs.

J

Attachments

• conv_294210.jpg
    conv_294210.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 125
  • conv_294211.jpg
    conv_294211.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_294212.jpg
    conv_294212.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 150
  • conv_294213.jpg
    conv_294213.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 108
Interesting that you have bobtail squid now! We've had interest in these little squid from time to time here on Tonmo, so it's nice to have some pics.

Will you try to raise the hatchlings?

Nancy

Top stuff, I've currently got some unidentified cephalopod eggs in my possesion at my aquarium will be posting picks later on to see if anyone around england can id the little fellas

They were feeding, right up to the point they started laying! They were fed mixed plankton, but had a definite preference for the local Euphausid (a krill) Nyctiphanes australis, which are quite large ~ 1cm long, the bobs were between 2 and 4 cm mantle length.

We have a few left but most laid eggs and died :cry: won't know for a while if the eggs are fertile.

We may try to rear them, depends on staff availability! otherwise they'll be released.

J

Jean;137122 said:
Yes although it would be quite sporadic!

At least you have been posting a bit recently :hmm:

Perhaps a journal will make you a more frequent visitor again :biggrin2: and it will be our first squid from eggs journal I think.

dwhatley;137126 said:
At least you have been posting a bit recently :hmm:

Perhaps a journal will make you a more frequent visitor again :biggrin2: and it will be our first squid from eggs journal I think.

I know I've been a bit absent. Blame it on having too much work! Unfortunately I seem to spend much of my time these days guiding students through lab sessions they don't want to be at and marking the assignments from those lab sessions ! So I get far less time skulking around the aquarium! BUT I have 3 days this week teaching at the aquarium so I should be able to sneak into the aquarium and take some pics, make notes etc!!!!! YAY!! Oh and I've laid claim to all the Bobs that died, so when I get a minute I'll be dissecting them and hopefully trying to age them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back