[Squid]: Pacific Bobtail Squid

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi We have some Pacific Bobtails (Sepioloidea pacifica) at the Portobello aquarium, came in on a dredge and are all older animals, they've started laying eggs! Sorry about the quality of the pics, but its a round tank and hard to get a good angle!

J

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that you have bobtail squid now! We've had interest in these little squid from time to time here on Tonmo, so it's nice to have some pics.

Will you try to raise the hatchlings?

Nancy

Perky

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Top stuff, I've currently got some unidentified cephalopod eggs in my possesion at my aquarium will be posting picks later on to see if anyone around england can id the little fellas

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
They were feeding, right up to the point they started laying! They were fed mixed plankton, but had a definite preference for the local Euphausid (a krill) Nyctiphanes australis, which are quite large ~ 1cm long, the bobs were between 2 and 4 cm mantle length.

We have a few left but most laid eggs and died :cry: won't know for a while if the eggs are fertile.

We may try to rear them, depends on staff availability! otherwise they'll be released.

J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerberus2882

Mobile app users
Latest mobile user

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean