• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

oxygen, turbulence and octos

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post some octo questions, but I'd like some more information than I've gotten from other hobbyists on the journals thread. I know that octos require a high level of oxygen, but I've also read posts concerned about harming octos. What is the concern, do bubbles pose a threat to them and how?

My current aculeatus, ("Once-er" in journals) is brooding. I have been wondering how much H2O motion they need (I know, it's hopeless but I'll try). I'm overthinking things now. The babies need lots of O2, and in the ocean the is lots of turbulence, so I added an air "curtain" and removed the power head so they don't get sucked up. Now I think I've overdone it.

What (if any) is the relationship between O2 and turbulence, and how do those things effect baby octopuses?

Thank you so much for your help!:notworth:

Just a little note on air curtains and oxygenating the water. As I understand it (remember I am not in the scientific community so this is a laymens explanation), it is true that air bubbles allow for higher oxygen, however, the bubbles themselves do not add oxygen but allow for a release of CO2 creating an exchange of gasses (CO2 goes out and air - including oxygen) goes in). With male seahorses, there is a concern with tiny air bubbles suspended in the water because it can get trapped in their pouches (causing serious problems and intricate care). The caution I have read on octopuses concerns larger air bubbles getting trapped in the mantle (as AM mentioned in your brooding post) but I have not read of this happening to anyone keeping a journal. Basically the more water you can expose to the air, the more CO2/O2 exchange occurs so an overflow/cascading type filter provides the same function but has problems with the intake when you are concerned with tinies. One of the things I tried with Octane's tank was to put an air stone inside a pvc pipe. The pipe I used was connected to a DIY undergravel filter (now removed and I will not use them again because of the nitrates) but the same thing can be accomplished if you can secure a tube to the side of the tank (thinking heater holder type suction cup). Even if the babies are sucked up into the current, they should survive as long as the tube ends below the surface (I think :hmm:). This keeps the bubbles contained at the top but still provides a sucking from the bottom (can you tell I have been thinking about the issue too :wink:). Unfortunately, our octo's timing is so close, we are not likely to be able to share best found practices, if any > 4 day success occurs.

I am hoping your post will bring additional suggestions to try as I plan on experimenting with several tanks and could use some ideas.

Just moving this to ceph care; there are many more people up here that can help you out.
Kindest and best of luck. Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back