• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

overflow box

You know, I was going to make a post tonight asking the exact same question :smile:

I've secured my octopus and have placed enkamat strategically around the intakes and a wedge of it next to the U-tube, but I'm still not sure the octo couldn't find a way inside and then through the U-tube and then escape....

I'm hoping the enkamat will be sufficient although so far I think it is trapping a lot of gunk and it seems like it will have to be cleaned regularly...so this solution actually makes maintenance harder on my opinion. Would prefer to find some material that will not indeed trow or trap detritus as much but will be just as discouraging to a ceph.

Also to keep in mind is a possibility that an octopos may cover the overflow box and block the return flow, leading to the main tank overflowing. I don't know how likely or possible that is but don't wish to take a chance, so need to ensure the return pump shuts of when the DT reaches a certain level. And then I have to find a way to make sure the octopus doesn't interfere with that sensor....

Hatchlings, juveniles and dwarfs have been known to crawl into overflow boxes where we have not seen issues from adults. I highly recommend installing a bulkhead screen (link is for reference only. These come in both threaded and slip for common US bulkheads). The screens will still allow hatchings to visit the sump but will prevent most others from exiting this way. The weir DOES need to be covered. Placing a rough sponge where the animal would put its arms to investigate helps but can be a concern with the flow (and needs regular cleaning). A bright light over the weir can also help (especially with nocturnal animals) if you your configuration allows blocking the light from the main tank.

Last edited:
Hatchlings, juveniles and dwarfs have been known to crawl into overflow boxes where we have not seen issues from adults. I highly recommend putting a bulkhead screen (link is for reference only. These come in both threaded and slip for common US bulkheads). The screens will still allow hatchings to visit the sump but will prevent most others from exiting this way. The weir DOES need to be covered. Placing a rough sponge where the animal would put its arms to investigate helps but can be a concern with the flow (and needs regular cleaning). A bright light over the weir can also help (especially with nocturnal animals) if you your configuration allows blocking the light from the main tank.

Where would the bulkhead screen ideally be fitted? On my system I am thinking if the octo could get through the U-tube, then it's out. That would be the only way out as I have a sponge over the actual drain, and the lid would be sealed over the overflow box (although with enough room for it to go into the overflow box).

Definitely finding enkamat needs to be cleaned at least weekly, but haven't found a better solution for what to put in the overflow box.

Where would the bulkhead screen ideally be fitted? On my system I am thinking if the octo could get through the U-tube, then it's out. That would be the only way out as I have a sponge over the actual drain, and the lid would be sealed over the overflow box (although with enough room for it to go into the overflow box).

Definitely finding enkamat needs to be cleaned at least weekly, but haven't found a better solution for what to put in the overflow box.

Sounds like you have an hob overflow?

@JingoFresh, I believe you're using an overflow box and not a drilled tank so you won't have a bulkhead. Depending upon the depth of your siphon tube and your weir (overflow box), you may be able to fashion something similar DIY. Before they made the bulkhead screens, I used (and still actually have one in place because I like it somewhat better than the official version) the removable screen from a cascade intake. If you can get to it, measure the inside diameter of the J-tube where it sits in the water.

:confused: several cross posts here - great minds ...

@JingoFresh, I believe you're using an overflow box and not a drilled tank so you won't have a bulkhead. Depending upon the depth of your siphon tube and your weir (overflow box), you may be able to fashion something similar DIY. Before they made the bulkhead screens, I used (and still actually have one in place because I like it somewhat better than the official version) the removable screen from a cascade intake. If you can get to it, measure the inside diameter of the J-tube where it sits in the water.

:confused: several cross posts here - great minds ...

Aye, I'm still learning the all the terminology I guess, and somehow misunderstood your previous post.

I don't think a bulkhead cover would help in this case...with the HOB overflow if it gets through the U-tube then that is it, it's out. Hopefully enough enkamat in the tank to discourage him exploring and yet not impede flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back