• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Overfed Cuttlefish?

Hey guys,
I was thinking tonight, as I sat looking at my hatchlings, is it possible to overfeed and what are the symptoms?
I recall reading from several different sources saying different things. Some places I have read that it's not possible to over feed them, other sources say to be carefull not to. Is it possible, and what are the effects? Do over fed cuttles just sit on the bottom until it passes? Do they lose control of boyancy to a degree? This is not necessarily pointed towards hatchlings only, although they were what was on my mind at the thought. I am very curious on the subject, lol. :confused:

I can't offer knowledge on the cuttlefish overfeeding but the thought is mixed with octopus keepers. IMO, MOST simply do not over eat but I had one vulgaris that I believe would have if we continually offered food. There is some thought that keeping them slightly hungry (or at least only feeding the octopuses every two or three days but letting them eat all they want at each feeding) might extend their lives but the evidence is anecdotal and only observed on cold water octos (temperature was also involved with the longevity observed).

Hopefully Thales will chime in as he has raised the greatest number of bandensis and in the most varied of environments. If he misses the request, try PMing him.

I don't think it is possible to over feed them. Specially hatchlings. You want them to eat a lot. Problems happen if you don't feed them enough.
Some underfeed adults, specially cold water cephs, with the idea that with less food they will live longer, but I am not aware of any study that supports this idea.
The loss of buoyancy idea come from flamboyants - some think that when these float it may be from underfeeding.

Sorry for the short responses lately - Marine breeding conference last week and I am packing for the Keys for coral spawning this week. :biggrin2:

Haha. Thanks for all the responses guys! I didn't think it was possible, but some places I read that it was, so I was just making sure. My little hatchlings are eating like crazy!

Have fun down in the Keys! It's odd, I live in Daytona Beach, but have never been to the Keys lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back