out of the blue

I am going to go further and disrespectfully disagree. The web site is just wrong.

There are a number of other, more subtle morphological differences as well, and the taxonomy is largely agreed at the level of the difference between squid, octopus, cuttlefish, and vampyroteuthis. I'm a bit skeptical about spirula, but even there, it's clear that it's in the squids and cuttles department.

A good reference is tolweb, compare the squids and cuttles Decapodiformes to octopods and vampire squids Octopodiformes to get the full list of officially recognized distinguishing characteristics.

I found this about farm mammals while looking for some hints on copper absorption for young octos and found it interesting that copper is high in young mammals too. Since much does not translate between cephalopods and mammals it would be hard to have much take away from the info provided but it was interesting that increasing calcium lowered the toxicity of copper in the diet. I sure wish one of our grad/post grad students would study and report on octo nutrition, poking about by an illiterate hobbiest approaches futility.

I did find this article, translated into non-scienctific lingo that has me thinking about a non attached refugium ...

Although requirements have not been determined for every marine species, scientists do know that copper deficiencies in certain species can result in reduced growth and cataracts, among other symptoms. Conversely, scientists have observed that overly high presence of copper in natural waters, due to pollutants or produced experimentally, may badly damage gills, adversely affect the liver and kidneys of fish or cause some neurological damage."

Scientists are frequently frustrated in their efforts to study more closely the effects of too little or too much copper on aquatic species in the wild because it is unusual to find whole fish that have died slowly as a result of malnutrition. "In the wild animals with deficiencies get quickly eaten or decompose," says Dr. Shearer.

thanks for the corrections about the difference btw octopus and squid and the links

somewhere else on this wild wild web i read that the colour change in octopuses was also a way to show emotion: red for being angry, etc...sounds like far-fetched "humanising", no?

Not really; the colour changes are consistent with behaviour, so they must be corellated. White is for instance associated with a startle reflex, a pounce will bring out dark contrasts. Some squid will even use wavey patterns to signal the intention of courtship to a potential partner on the side of their mantle visible to said other squid, while flashing white on the "invisible" side to ward off fellow suitors! In fact, if the relative visual positions change, the male squid will actually inverse that scheme and make it change sides... Octopodes (yes, I am pedantic :wink:) will even change the texture of their skin to match their mood or surroundings. Do they have moods? Disregarding a fair share of anthropomorphism, most people taking care of one will agree they do.

I think a lot depends on how you define "mood" or "emotion". In my understanding of neural networks (the real ones, consisting of neurons), these are elements of consciousness that arise early in evolution. PET scans in humans for instance show some very basic emotions to be stemming from the amygdala, a fairly ancient and primitive part of our brains. Reptiles have it, even fish sort of have it, so why not the physiological traits to go with it? My guess is, that given the complexity of the octopus brain, they stand a fair chance of having benefitted from having an emotional foundation to underpin their behaviour. Whether an octopus interprets emotion, is obviously a wholly different matter.

Pardon my Greek.... This stems from a longstanding discussion on this forum. I'll explain by quoting the Wikipedia:

There are three forms of the plural of octopus; namely, octopuses, octopi, and octopodes. Currently, octopuses is the most common form in the UK as well as the US; octopodes is rare, and octopi is often objected to.[19]

The Oxford English Dictionary (2004 update[20]) lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the mistaken assumption that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not. Rather, it is (Latinized) Greek, from oktṓpous (ὀκτώπους), gender masculine, whose plural is oktṓpodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octōpēs ('eight-foot') and the plural octōpedes, analogous to centipedes and mīllipedes, as the plural form of pēs ('foot') is pedes. In modern, informal Greek, it is called khtapódi (χταπόδι), gender neuter, with plural form khtapódia (χταπόδια).

Chambers 21st Century Dictionary[21] and the Compact Oxford Dictionary[22] list only octopuses, although the latter notes that octopodes is "still occasionally used"; the British National Corpus has 29 instances of octopuses, 11 of octopi and 4 of octopodes. Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary lists octopuses and octopi, in that order; Webster's New World College Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order).

Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.

The term octopod (plural octopods or octopodes) is taken from the taxonomic order Octopoda but has no classical equivalent. The collective form octopus is usually reserved for animals consumed for food.

a film here of giant octopus, he's red, so: angry (or at least excited)?

here is said "they run out of energy surprisingly fast ... their blood is not good at carrying oxygen, they need cold oxygen rich waters"

correct?

The idea that octopuses that take on a red color are angry is far to anthropomorphic and over-simplified. If a giant Pacific octopus is "annoyed or irritated" (the closest I will go to calling them actually "angry") they are generally light colored with a bright red stripe through their eye, extending beyond both directions a reasonable distance. There are lots of octopus species and most have unique color displays for different "moods". Most octopuses I have ever worked with have been red colored as a default, calm state.

A lot of octo species flash dark when they're startled or angry, and perhaps some get more reddish as they do it. In general (I think this applies to all the incirrate octos) their has 3 layers of the pigment cells, chromatophores, that are go from light deeper to dark at the surface, over a layer of reflecting cells, leucophores, that are primarily white but are very good at reflecting the color of the environment around them. I don't know where the "red default color" comes from in the GPO (giant pacific octopus) but it doesn't seem to be the "dark" chromatophores all turned on. I suspect that the octos that have a reputation for turning red have reddish "dark" top chromatophores, while other species have more dark brown or black.

I'm not sure where the "octopus blood is a poor oxygen carrier" came from originally, I've run into it quite often, and I think it was a conjecture sometime in the mid-20th century. It may apply to some species in some way, but there are at least some glaring counter-examples: squids have roughly the same blood as octopuses (or octopodes, for the pedantic people) and many of them are very active in low-oxygen environments: in particular, humboldt squids spend a lot of their time in a deep layer of ocean that's very low oxygen, and they, like many squids, have to keep swimming to avoid sinking. If they tired quickly and needed a lot of oxygen, this lifestyle just wouldn't work.

I seem to remember that there are just different regimes of operation for hemoglobin and hemocyanin, and each has strengths and weaknesses. The study that led to this fact getting repeated a lot, if I remember right, studied one aspect in which hemoglobin worked better than hemocyanin, but didn't take into account other factors. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details, but I had heard this claim quite a bit when I first joined TONMO, but the more I've learned, the less it makes sense. I have the impression that most scientists who study cephs don't believe it at this point, but some of the books science journalists and popular science writers refer to make the claim a lot, so it continues to be repeated.

I suspect that the major source for this may be Jacques Coustea's 1973 Octopus and Squid: The Soft Intelligence citing Wells. The passage from Cousteau's book is:

In his excellent work, Brain and Behavior in Cephalopods M.J. Wells devotes a chapter to what he calls "The Downfall of the Cephalopods." He begins by pointing out the perfection of their senses, which, he says, approaches, and sometimes equals, that of vertebrates. Where, then, is the element of downfall? For Mr. Wells, it consists of a "historic" defect of cephalopods which had its origin, among other factors, in a peculiarity of cephalopod blood: it is not red, like that of mammals, but "hyalin," or blue-green. Its volume is considerable, and it is driven through the cephalopod's body by a powerful heart. But the respiratory pigment which fixes oxygen in the blood is not the same as the hemoglobin which gives its color to human blood. There is no iron in its composition, but only copper: hemocyanin. And copper is not as effective as iron in carrying oxygen. Among cephalopods, the total capacity for absorbing oxygen runs from 3.1 per cent to 4.5 per cent, while, among fishes whose respiratory pigment is hemoglobin, it is 10 per cent to 20 per cent.

This explains the phenomenon of "breathlessness" which we so often noted among the giant octopuses of Seattle and the octopuses of Riou when we forced them to swim for any distance.

As much as I admire Cousteau and Wells, I think in the light of modern evidence this is probably an oversimplification. I've noticed that Wells sometimes tends to mix fact, interpretation, and wild speculation on occasion (I have a particular beef with his description of the octopus arm nerves' capacity.)

It is true that octopuses spend a lot of time still and then become active for relatively short periods, and they tend to be ambush predators, so they have bursts of activity. But you could say the same thing about cats.

Thanks, I've watched this video many times and it remains incredible. at first i could not believe it was "real" at all, but if a serious professor made it, it must be true!

Octokidwriter, most of us that have kept octos have seen similar reactions in our aquariums but Hanlon filmed this in the water. I can't find the video but there is one about where he discusses taking the picture and its appearance on YouTube (he did not object since it brings positive attention to the ceph world).

Monty, Hanlon is well respected, dedicated and does a lot of in situ work so I am assuming your smerking smiley is based on the general statement and not about Hanlon directly but octokidwriter might not know that.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back