Our latest Architeuthis

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Rather not.... The skin's off the mantle, as always, abrasion? Sea sun and sand? Or is that still a patch, all countershade and such?

Edit: backside of head, I see it now... Big eyes too.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
It was in a really bad way, two pieces, and the viscera was rotten. We disracded the mantle and kept thehead, although I'm inclined to lose the head at some point also (it just seemed like such a terrible waste).

The specimen was beach cast (ex trawler), the beaks had been removed .... a crying shame. Better luck with the next one. (That's Rebecca, who's come all the way from Chicago in the US of A to play just with squid with us for a few years ... her first Architeuthis.)

Attachments

Infusoria

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Matt's GS pics

Hi,

Here are some I took today... So we have a couple of close-ups, then one of the back of the truck post squid and pre-cleaning, and finally one really nice pic of Rebecca and Clara who were helping Steve out today.

Matt

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,
I love the "fishing" shot.

Steve had posted some of cleaning the sunfish but not a shot that showed the size of the mess :smile:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
What ever became of the latex mould.....

Anyway, were the eyes on this Architeuthis measured, by any chance? Looks like not, but just curious.

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faceofbowe09

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak