• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Our latest Architeuthis

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Is that rattail its last proverbial supper, or simply bycatch? Lampreys, rattails, tsssk...

Infusoria

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
ob;81249 said:
Is that rattail its last proverbial supper, or simply bycatch? Lampreys, rattails, tsssk...
The rattail in question (there were 3) turns out to be Caelorinchus maurifasciatus, about which virtaully nothing is known. As far as I know, all that is known about this species is the original paper describing it. I'll be doing gut-content analysis on them later this week. There was also a barracudina in there as well. These fish were bycatch that just got caught up with the squid in the trawl net.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Is it just me? Or does the first picture of the second post have a green tinge to it?

joe chow

Larval Mass
Registered
Giant Squid caught by Taiwanese fisherman

This story today 12-21 on Taiwan news paper Chinatime
of a giant squid captured. check it out.

http://photo.chinatimes.com/photofile/newsweb/today.htm

story translate:
GIANT SEA MONSTER
a 6 meters length giant squid appeared at
TongGoang fish market(東港). Visiting
kindergarten children all amazed with mouth their wide open.
For the whole day, Skiper Mr. HongJehShan and machanic
HongShihCheng were telling their story of fighting the
sea monster.

joe chow

Attachments

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Another one arrived today; pics soon enough when we defrost it. It's been a few months since we saw one.:smile:

Infusoria

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Infusoria;81250 said:
The rattail in question (there were 3) turns out to be Caelorinchus maurifasciatus, about which virtaully nothing is known. As far as I know, all that is known about this species is the original paper describing it. I'll be doing gut-content analysis on them later this week. There was also a barracudina in there as well. These fish were bycatch that just got caught up with the squid in the trawl net.
I was completely wrong with the rattail ID :oops:. It turned out to be Caelorinchus aspercephalus, but you knew that anyway...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Most of the inhabitants suffered permanent loss of smell following the "Mola mola incident", anyway, so I would say "beyond concern", now :wink:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
It smells 'fine'. It's a bit damaged, but I'll know more today. (It was still rather frozen yesterday, and it is obvious that its digestive gland ruptured when they picked it up off the beach and transported; there's a possibility that the head is also separated from the mantle.)

Here are just afew shots, a blow-by-blow account of what's involved getting a slippery, smelly mass from the back of the wagon into a tank in cramped quarters (there are two other fixing tanks to the immediate left of this squid .... both full) in a carpark with a few onlookers.

Formalin and cleaning goes on today.

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.