Other Minds by Peter Godfrey-Smith

Has anyone read this book by chance? I found out about it a couple of weeks ago and finished my copy recently. I thought it was really fascinating and reminds me how much there is to be gained by bridging sciences even when we're looking at seemingly unrelated phenomena. Curious to know others' thoughts!

Embarrassingly, I don't own this book, but I need to change that.

Peter Godfrey-Smith is a TONMO member (@pgs) although he hasn't been around in a while. He has spoken at two prior TONMOCON events (once in person)
(...I'm nudging him about the next one... :heee: )
... he famously found out about octopuses living in groups in this thread, right here on our site:

Embarrassingly, I don't own this book, but I need to change that.

Peter Godfrey-Smith is a TONMO member (@pgs) although he hasn't been around in a while. He has spoken at two prior TONMOCON events (once in person)
(...I'm nudging him about the next one... :heee: )
... he famously found out about octopuses living in groups in this thread, right here on our site:

good to know this is
the forum he mentions in the book, I was wondering LOL

If you like thinking about physics in biology, then From Eternity to Here is a really interesting book on time and the universe I also found accessible and important in understanding concepts in particle physics that affect all levels of biology as well. And if you like cephalopods/Other Minds and science fiction then Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood collection is an amazing trio of "humans meet aliens" novels.

It's so rare to find things you can really recommend with your whole chest so sorry if I'm a bit over-zealous with the suggestions :old:

Has anyone read this book by chance? I found out about it a couple of weeks ago and finished my copy recently. I thought it was really fascinating and reminds me how much there is to be gained by bridging sciences even when we're looking at seemingly unrelated phenomena. Curious to know others' thoughts!
I quite enjoyed it. Recommend it enthusiastically.

Besides loving Peter's talks at TONMOcon, I get a private grin anytime this book is mentioned. See the Acknowledgements for the reason for my private :cephdevil:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back