O'Shea quoted in year-end animal review

....not the most memorable of quotes is it! How embarassing!!! Why thank you Tony for drawing this most humiliating citation to everyones attention :oops:

I would have thought there were far more interesting squid-related things that had happened last year ... sigh

:lol:! Sorry Dr. Steve, I didn't mean to embarrass... but it does make for some humorous imagery. :biggrin2: All readers should rest assured that unlike that publication, TONMO.com is a house of respect for marine biologists. And you know what they say... "all press is good press!" :biggrin2:

You raise an interesting point though... What would your year-end review for ceph happenings look like? What were the top few most important developments this year?

After reviewing my News 2002 archives, I see this was the year of the 14 living baby Architeuthis that you and your team pulled up off New Zealand. That was probably the biggest news in the ceph space, wouldn't you think?

Also there was the Haliphron atlanticus giant octopus stranding, weighing about 165 lbs., as told here.

There seem to have been at least 3 mature giant squid strandings... at least that's what I was able to pick up off the news wires.

And of course, this was also the year of Bloop! :roll: Heh... 9 parts fantasy, 1 part fact, but it was a fun story nonetheless.

Any predictions for 2003? :smile:

2003 will be a rather structured year as far as the squid work is concerned, with very clearly defined milestones. As soon as we (Tintenfisch and I) achieve any given milestone you could hear about it, as each milestone will represent a significant breakthrough in the work we'll be undertaking. However, 'step-by-step closer' progress, despite being significant in terms of science, might not make the sort of news 2002 has, as people really are interested in the end result (rather than a methodical build up to it). Who knows.

Personally I could do with a quiet year, but I have a sneaking suspicion 2003 is not going to be so quiet :wink:

Other news, well, it would be nice for someone to rediscover Recent (live) ammonites. You can pretty much count on a little press whenever an Architeuthis strands, so I don't think we've seen the last of this sort of thing. I wish people could see what I had in my freezers. And it would be very nice for another 'giant cephalopod' to be discovered, somewhere, anywhere .... And I think you'll see a pic of Tintenfisch somewhere in the news, next to a squid ... and those are my predictions for 2003.

Steve O'Shea said:
And I think you'll see a pic of Tintenfisch somewhere in the news, next to a squid ... and those are my predictions for 2003.

Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again... 'Here, just climb into the sink... good... now try to look like you're wrestling with it.'
The primary lay-response to this photo being 'What are you doing? Giving it beak-to-mouth? Ha ha ha!' :oops:

Tintenfisch said:
Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again...

No need to T :biggrin2: - my repertoire of practical jokes/exercises in embarassment is far from exhausted you know...... you'll be totally oblivious - for who would not take me seriously - LOL

O

Steve O'Shea said:
And I think you'll see a pic of Tintenfisch somewhere in the news, next to a squid ... and those are my predictions for 2003.

....and indeed this prediction came true - there's a lovely pic of Tintenfisch next to a giant squid in the March 2003 issue of North & South Magazine (sorry, I've been unable to find a link to the article).

It would be nice if a new kind of giant squid was discovered soon.....

Additionally, I'd like to see more coverage of the "Mystery Squid" -- more sightings and perhaps even a definite genus and species I.D. (Magnapinnidae?) As I recall the video clips were not taken in Steve-O's and Kat's part of the world, but it certainly would be neat if y'all were called in as expert consultants to finally solve the mystery!

:?:
The Ever-Mysterious Tani

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back