Oscars Journal

Pusses- mammal and ceph

I think it's interesting what you've noticed about the interaction with your kittens. Both of my cats and both of the adult octos I've had so far have seemed to take great interest in each other. In the Once-ler's journal there is a photo of a cat and the octo napping in the same sunbeam- that was a regular thing in the afternoon around here with both octos. The octo would be in the corner of the tank closest to the best sun and where the cat was. When I had Al, the cats always napped nearest that tank. The Once-ler's tank is across the room, and sure enough when the octo was out the cats would always nap closer to the tank instead of the prime spot on the couch. It's so nice when all the pets get along!

sedna;127903 said:
It's so nice when all the pets get along!

We have a slightly different scenerio. The wolfhound trys to keep me away from the octo tanks (at not quite a year old her back comes to my inseam), when that fails she insists that one hand is petting her while the other is messing with the octo. I don't know how AM manages with eight dogs without being an octopus himself! :biggrin2:

I think as they mature, they get more interested in the world outside their tank. I had one in my livingroom who loved my oldest son. I always thought it was because he shaved his head and looked more octo-like!:mrgreen:

Oscar had one of the biggest crabs he's had last night. I got to watch the "bite" take effect. The crab went from trying to pinch and struggling to get away to spasms before he went limp. Then Oscar proceeded to a perch at the top of the tank to dine.

New way to catch octo food....Strategically sit at the inlet at low tide and swipe a seagulls dinner by sending child out of car to scare seagull away and grab crab......I know.....how low does one go to feed your pet.....Jess thought I was nuts.....but we have a nice size rock crab minus a few legs for Oscars tomorrow dinner!:mrgreen:

Over 4 months since Oscar arrived. He is going through a dozen green crabs every 2 weeks. His tank is totally rearranged and I have caught him more than a few times, playing with the green lego. He still sleeps at the waterline which is so unusual unless there are water quality issues but this has turned out to be the norm for him.

January 19th was 6 months for Oscar and he is doing very well. I noticed his color changes are not as remarkable and vibrant as they were. He still sleeps out in the open on the glass and either sleeps by the cleaner magnet or pulls the green lego over by his body and holds on to it. I feel like he is slowing down some which saddens me but he is still eating every other day and does watch us with the "eye" extended past his body.

Carol,
Octane started showing fewer changes as he aged and had slowed down noticably before he died but since his death was untimely, I can't offer any suggestion as to what stage you are approaching. Has he offered to interact at all by touching you? Both OhToo and Octane initiated contact.

7 months on Feb 19th! We hit the bait store today and the guy now gives us over a dozen green crabs plus a discount as he knows I'm feeding an octopus! Oscar is doing very well. His color and texture changes were very pronounced tonight. I'm concerned with this upcoming move end of March. My thought is I may combine all my salttanks into the 70 gallon but my other concern is how well my sons resealed the tank now that we are moving! And as far as interacting and touching Oscar, I have to admit I have not been home enough to really give him the attention he should get, but he seems to be ok with that. Most of the octopuses I have had, I've never interacted much with my hand in the tank. Although if you remember, Inklet got a hold of Jess!:mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply Carol. I have been wondering if I am the only one who attempts hand contact with this species (and I suspect that is the case) or if I happened to have had two unusual octos. Who could forget "mom's wicked laugh" while Jesse is screaming, "he got me!" :razz:

Moving is one of my most dreaded life requirements. I hope your's goes well and the move is a positive one!

I am sure my move will go smoothly! Positive thinking going on here!!! I have a plan on moving the tanks so I'm really not too worried about it! And I will be close to the shore and the owl!!! Just 15 mins further up north, 10 mins from my work! These I took this morning before work. I like how you can see the detail in his suckers, and the second he was annoyed but did not run away....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back