Osaka and Octos

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Mikewise, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mikewise

Mikewise GPO Registered

Unfortunately I have been octopusless for the last 8 months, but I have recently moved to Japan to teach English, where octopuses definitely have a big impact on the culture. Japanese people think i'm crazy for having had a pet tako, as it is exclusively thought of as a food source here. It's like having a pet hamburger. They are by and large unaware of the Octopus intelligence media attention as of late in the west.

I recently took a trip to Osaka, the birthplace of takoyaki (γŸγ“η„Όγ), a popular japanese snack consisting of octopus (tako) meat fried (yaki) in doughy balls. Poor octopuses!

Takoyaki stalls, and octopus imagery in general are plastered all over Osaka. Here are a few of my pictures (not for the weak of heart):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Good to hear from you Mike, I have been remiss in checking on your blog.

Think outside the box a little and I suspect you can make a good case for Octopus in Japan being much like Chicken here. The GAP sweat shirt is almost humerous though.

Attached Files:

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

and some people keep these as pets (I am not talking about the Easter chicks but do know adults who named and considered them pets)

Attached Files:

4. #30Girl

#30Girl Wonderpus Registered

I would hate to have to eat an octopus.

5. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Years ago in Nice I ordered a nicoise pizza, expecting the usual olives, etc, but when it came it had lots of tiny whole octopuses. Since it was there, they were dead, and I was hungry I ate it, but I have to tell you, it was like eating little rubber balls with legs. Never again.

6. Donnerboy

Donnerboy Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Mike,

Totally off topic, but I am looking for something that is supposedly only in Japan. Perhaps you could help. I am looking for what's called a plug n' play game. It looks like a joystick that one uses RCA jacks and plugs directly into a TV and is about the quality of an old Atari. Supposedly, there was an Indiana Jones version that was only released in Japan (looks like a snake). Been looking for one for years. If you can find it, maybe we can make a trade or you can just tell me what you'd like for it.

~Will