Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Thanks again Kevin and Hajar! I will definitly see if I can find the book you suggested Kevin. I may also attempt to slice one of the possible Endocerids, will post picture if successful..

Hello Kevin! I am really curious about this fossil, I don't have a clue if it is ceph related or not. It isn't a very good picture, if it EVER stops RAINING I will go back and get coordinants and better pics. It's in Smith Co. Tn. on an outcrop that's about 30 ft. high. The fossil is about 3 1/2- 4 ft. long (guessing).

Attachments

• conv_296393.jpg
    conv_296393.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 163
Hey Terri !

I don't quite know what to make of that! If it is a cephalopod it is a very large one. I see similar things in the Ordovician out here, they are Sponge reefs, but they don't have the concentric form. It may also be some kind of sedimentary structure where the mud has slumped. Maybe some close-ups of the "septa" would shed some light on it.

Hope the rain quits soon, keep to the high ground :smile:

Interesting...I wouldn't have guessed sponge reef, after a little googling I found a picture of an Ordivician sponge reef that was similiar, but like you said without the concentric form. I did find another picture which is only slightly better but may show you more. I will be able to go out at the end of the week for closer shots. Pretty sure this will end up being: Nashville Group: Bigby Cannon Limestone.

Thanks Kevin:smile:smile:

Attachments

• conv_296397.jpg
    conv_296397.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 170
If you go get more pictures, try to get a close-up of the structure in the upper right of the last photo. It looks like whatever it was collapsed and broke-up, (it looks alot like septa would look when they break) very cool! Also maybe get a view of the left side so I can see how the other end looks. Are there any fossils in the surrounding rock or in or on the concentric rings?

I will be away collecting next week and I don't know if I will have internet access so you may have to wait for comments on the next photos :biggrin2:

:cool2: That would be a lot more interesting than a mud slump or sponge reef! I'm going out tommorrow so I'll get the shots you want, and take a closer look for other fossils.

:biggrin2: Have fun collecting!

The first picture is of the possible collapsed septa, the second is of the the entire fossil. There is a protusion in the rock face towards the end of the fossil (left side of pic.) and if you look closely there are more ?septa showing in the little white patch.

The third picture is really cool, while looking for more fossils I wandered about 500ft. from the above fossil and found this one.

I didn't see anything other than a few brachiopods but I could see a layer of sediment way over my head. It is a very unstable outcrop, lots of precariously perched rocks overhead, I think there may be more cool stuff to be found. If the rain holds off tommorrow I am going back.

I took a lot of pictures today most of them didn't come out well, so I'll see if I can do better tommorrow.:smile:

Attachments

• conv_296434.jpg
    conv_296434.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_296435.jpg
    conv_296435.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_296436.jpg
    conv_296436.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
Terri;155934 said:
I'll definintly keep looking, I seem to be hooked. I hope all of the "Help" I need is not too bothersome!:smile:

keep the mystery finds coming! It gives Kevin something interesting to do :sagrin: and the rest of us a fun vicarious experience.

dwhatley;155963 said:
keep the mystery finds coming! It gives Kevin something interesting to do :sagrin: and the rest of us a fun vicarious experience.

It's just like being there, isn't it :heee:

Terri;155934 said:
I'll definintly keep looking, I seem to be hooked. I hope all of the "Help" I need is not too bothersome!:smile:

Never a bother Terri, I live for this stuff :sly:

I finally get a chance to go out and wouldn't you know it... SNOW is in the forecast... the 20th of May... Global warming must mean local cooling :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back