Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
Could anyone help me identify this fossil?

Attachments

• conv_304545.jpg
    conv_304545.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 182
Why is it that when people attach stuff like this I can never see the attachment? I'm assuming she attached something anyway from the contexts of the above posts...

I actually found it in my backyard! I live in the Nashville basin area about 25 miles NE of Nashville, about 5 miles from the Cumberland river. Please excuse my lack of knowledge (total amatuer). I am guessing Ordovician. The fossils I am finding in the same area all seem to be common to this area and the ordovician period. I am trying to learn identification as I uncover the rock that contains all these fossils, so again forgive my ignorance. I have more pic. if you are interested, it may take a few days before I can post them.

I have a specimen a bit like this from Oklahoma. Endoceras sp., 14 cm, Poolville Member, Bromide Formation, "Blackriverian", Ordovician, Dunn Quarry, Criner Hills, Carter County, Oklahoma.

I made this little Bromide Formation sketch years ago, fotopic.net, but probably wouldn't show all those little Nautilus-style tentacles now given evidence from radulae to suggest that the orthocones could have been more closely related to ammonoids and coleoids (Gabbot 1999).

Attachments

• conv_295750.jpg
    conv_295750.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 187
Here are a few more pictures, if anyone can help with identification I would appreciate it. Thanks Kevin and Hajar for the links and photos on previous post. These were found at the same location and the best I can do on that is, Ordivician (lower to middle?), Stones River Group, Wilson County, Tn. :confused:

Attachments

• conv_295869.jpg
    conv_295869.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 201
  • conv_295868.jpg
    conv_295868.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 236
  • conv_295866.jpg
    conv_295866.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 222
  • conv_295867.jpg
    conv_295867.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 175
I agree with Hajar, the first and third pics are of Actinocerids. Some very nice fossils for being as old as they are :biggrin2:

The others may be Endocerids, but to know for sure you would have to slice them up and see if there are endocones inside the siphuncle (or find some that are naturally sectioned). There are a lot of Ellesmerocerids that have a ventral or marginal siphuncle, and they look just like Endocerids until you see the inside.

I will have a look at the Treatise later and see if I can get a better ID.

Edit:
I looked through the Treatise, and I'm afraid there are just not enough visible characters to ID the fossils better than just Actinocerida :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back