Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Terri;184259 said:
Hey Kevin, just a nudge to remind you to look at post #496, It seems a little different than any others at this site, I don't quite know what to make of it.:hmm:

It looks like one of those little BC's, any chance of a side view to show any curvature? It looks like it is preserved a lot better than all the others, is it silicified?

Terri;184260 said:
Here's another (I have several more from the last ime out). My first thought was a badly crushed coiled nautiloid OR just a mish mash of ceph parts, the third pic. is the bottom of the fossil, bottom center you can see where a few septa wrap around the side of the rock.

My take on this rock:
Yellow is a gastropod, red is brachiopods, blue, some kind of encrusting bryozoan? green is 1 cephalopod for sure, and 1 possible. I can't tell from the photo where the one on the bottom matches up with those on top. If they do prove to be connected it could be a coiled nautiloid. :smile:

Terri;184285 said:
What do you mean," having trouble with the age and stratigraphy"? That the site these fossils are coming from are not Sandbian like we thought?

The Lebanon Limestone is part of the Stones River Group (Upper Sandbian), I was looking at something that was Middle Katian (Maysvillian of Frey), I didn't notice all the others that are Upper Sandbian (Rocklandian of Frey), my mistake. :oops:

Keep 'em coming Terri, I'll try to keep up. :sly:

Attachments

• conv_298837.jpg
    conv_298837.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 81
It looks like one of those little BC's, any chance of a side view to show any curvature? It looks like it is preserved a lot better than all the others, is it silicified?

Agreed, I see no sign of curvature at all, I guess it could be curved down into the matrix, or broken. It's definitely perserved better than the others. So if it doesn't sizzle it's silicified? I'll try to get a better picture tommorrow.

Yellow is a gastropod, red is brachiopods, blue, some kind of encrusting bryozoan? green is 1 cephalopod for sure, and 1 possible. I can't tell from the photo where the one on the bottom matches up with those on top. If they do prove to be connected it could be a coiled nautiloid. :smile:

Ok here's my inept attempt at paint but I think you'll get the idea: The two lines at the top I was thinking septa (probably not?) The lines drawn on the septa at the bottom is where the septa wrap around (?) or appear to, there seems to be some goo on edge of rock that the lines seem to run under. I didn't have any side shots so I'll try again tomorrow.

The cone shaped thing on the right looks to me like a longitudinal section of a horn coral that something has bored into and the blob outlined within that looks like bryozoan. Just my opinion I'm quite sure I could be totally wrong about the horn coral, (or any of the above) just my first impression. :heee:

Theres also a mold of a gastropod on the left of the rock.

Attachments

• conv_298838.jpg
    conv_298838.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 82
The Lebanon Limestone is part of the Stones River Group (Upper Sandbian), I was looking at something that was Middle Katian (Maysvillian of Frey), I didn't notice all the others that are Upper Sandbian (Rocklandian of Frey), my mistake. :oops:

Still working on this paper it mostly takes several readings for me to get it. :roll: But it is an excellent paper and pertinent to some of my fossils.

Keep 'em coming Terri, I'll try to keep up. :sly:

Okeedokie! :heee: Let me know if you start getting tired of the Lebanon Limestone stuff, I've heard people say they get tired of hunting it, because it's so much of the same old thing...so far it hasn't stopped amazing me! Especially when I start finding cephs! :biggrin2:

Terri;184327 said:
Still working on this paper it mostly takes several readings for me to get it. :roll: But it is an excellent paper and pertinent to some of my fossils. :biggrin2:

A lot of good references listed to check out also. :sly:

Terri;184328 said:
Another ceph/gastropod....There's also a couple graptolites and a tiny little orthocone.

This one looks like a nice little BC too, any chance it could be Beloitoceras? Hard to know for sure without views of the siphuncle and the shape of the aperture.

One of these days...I WILL learn to slice and dice! This is the first time I've ran into a Beloitoceras (I think).:roll: There is one some where in this thread that looks very similiar though.

Well, while i'm still trying to work out all of the above, here are a few more things found on the last time out...I've seen these before and I think it's a ceph part(?)

Attachments

• conv_298842.jpg
    conv_298842.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
  • conv_298843.jpg
    conv_298843.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
This is just cool, Brachiopod with top and bottom valve preserved, amazing it hasn't been broken...

Attachments

• conv_298844.jpg
    conv_298844.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • conv_298845.jpg
    conv_298845.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80
Ahh, chamber and siphuncle! (?)

Have to ask, where are the tools (or whatever you techi people call them). to post links and quotes and smilies. Is it my computer or the website! I'm lost without them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back