• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Options for making an octopus tank attractive?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
What are some options for making an octopus tank look attractive?

I've had my tank properly setup, cycled and running excellently for a while now, but haven't figured out a way to make it loo more eye-popping.

There are not too many creatures I can add to add color (and those that I can, I have), and I can't have corals because the octopus isn't reef safe/doesn't like high intensity light.

What kinds of things do people add to their tanks to make them look visually appealing?

There are many ways to make your tank attractive. First be sure you've created a nice live rock landscape. Some people pile it all in the middle, but you can make your tank look more natural by spreading it the rock out irregularly. But of course, your octopus may rearrange everything, as mine did. (She didn't like the Tonga branches!)

Then you can purchase or find other marine items for decoration. Barnacles, especially the purple ones, look very nice. Shells of all sorts do well, except that the color may fade or the whole thing will eventually be covered with algae. Every trip to the Texas coast had me bringing back some shells for my tanks.

I've used at times large transparent glass marbles in beautiful blues and greens and some small ceramic figures of divers and mermaids.

Nancy

My first "esthetic" is always live rock, it takes awhile to mature but interesting rock work and arrangement go a long way to drawing your eye to the tank. Included in the Lists of Posts for New Octo Keepers sticky is a link to the Tankmates thread that I am sure you have visited for what can and should not be placed in an octopus tank. You can reexamine the positive list for some ideas to adding interest. If you can get them to survive, sponges can add vibrant color but so far I have only had long term success with a sponge in my cold water tank. Gorgonians also come in with some color and shape varieties and usually survive for several years (but I have not had a lot of success getting them to actually grow). Most anything labeled mushroom (but not ricordia) adds attraction. Anything that you "plant" (animals that are not self mobile) should be placed in good water flow with an attempt to avoid natural foraging (not always possible) for the sake of the new animal but the recommendations should not hurt the octopus when (not if) it climbs on it.

Thanks guys.

I'm happy with my live rock arrangement at the moment...I think I have a nice balance between ensuring the octopus can't cause any damage by moving the rocks and a nice aesthetic.

I have a red knobby starfish and a pencil urchin and will look into getting barnacles. I love the marbles idea, I'm definitely going to get some.

I've avoided mushroom corals because I think the red knob starfish would devour them, and I don't really have sufficient lighting. They were also listed as 'semi-aggressive' which made me want to avoid them. I'll look into further options though...I would love to be able to have some corals in my tank...although the red knob might have to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back