Opinion's Please

lance

Wonderpus
Registered
Okay I work at a LFS that is in our 40 year celebration. Today I went in work to see what came in on our weekly shipment and I saw 3 bunches of cuttlefish eggs and 3 single white cuttle fish egg's like the one's in this thread http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133805

The point I'm making here is all of these Cuttlefish are gonna die the salt manager is well an " idiot ". But my thought for you guy's is should there be some sorta limit to who should have access to these egg's so that they are not a lost cause from the point of order and only be accessible to people in this organization or those who take the time to educate them-self's on what specie's they are buying and what specie's are in the egg's?

Another thing that really got me mad as I went to work last week and there were about 15 baby Bangai's. So I was like alright finally Captive Bred WRONG WRONG WRONG. All where wild caught and all died because of the salt manager's lack of knowledge on feeding requirement's of baby bangai's. At this point I think I'm just venting but I have great amount of respect for people that CAN successfully house and raise any kinda Cephalopod from egg to adult to even a successful spawn.

Lance

Please comment on your thought's

thank you

:spongebo:

Lance, I worked in the pet trade for quite a long time. I finally blew up when a customer brought back in some fish that she had purchased the day before, fish that I had raised up and cared for quite a bit. Her husband neglected to tell me, even during a rather extensive questioning period, that they had a large puffer in their tank. Of course, it shredded them (as puffers will). I was completely furious, and she wanted her money back " 'cause the fish didn't get a'lon ".

Since then, I have tried to work educating the pet trade as to how exactly animals actually work in a captive space. Luckily, the book written by Nancy and Colin seems to be doing some good. I was in a store the other day and someone actually brought up a few topics mentioned in the book, especially about tank size.

If you are bent and determined to stay in the pet trade, all you can do is gently manipulate people to the truth. Lecturing won't work, nor grandstanding. The sad fact , is, most captive animals die without reproducing at all (of course, I am speaking of exotics here), and to me, that is the worst thing about the entire pet trade.

Greg

Lance, I suspect one of the best things you can do is become one of the saltwater managers, educate your staff and clients (through your staff's knowledge) and figure out how to do this and still keep a successful department. Not an easy challenge.

Can you talk to the store owner about the situation with the manager? Not in a tatttling way, but the bottom line for him is the $$$$$. The more animals he keeps alive to sell, the better off for him. If the owner is losing $$$ due to the ineptness of a manager, I'm sure he'll want to do something about it!

I always appreciate it when my LFS guys say, "NO!" to something I think I want because it wont work! Why spend the $$ and lose an animal in the process? When you explain thing to your customers that way, you'll get repeat business for your knowledge!

You're between a rock and a hard place.... and there is no real easy way out. Like the others have said, at least you are in a postition to try and do something about it. You cannot save everything on your own, try and be happy knowing that you have managed to same some, if that is any help.

thanks all for the replies

As far as telling the owner he and the saltwater manger are so close cause the saltwater manger now framed and tattles so much on everyone the owner thinks he is god's gift. I always do my best to educate and inform all my customer's as well as fellow employee's the sad part is none of it help because the 1 customer I educate 10 more will come through with someone else helping them and buy the product we have over 35 sale's people and since I suffered being sabotaged by the salt manger I went from 5 day's a week to 1 day for 4 hour's :cry: . But I do my best to be productive and educate those who will give an ear and the time to be informed and actually understand the need's of the livestock they plan on housing.

thanks again all,

lance

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back