Oops....New Octo...Need Name Suggestions!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, Oct 11, 2004.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I have a new octo!!! Thought about Ripley, but see we have one already named that!!!Not sure even what it is, but he has long arms and that together with the staff of That Pet Place in Pa, we have ruled out a Bimac, and a Dwarf and I know it does not look like G2, who is a Carribean Two Spot! Acclimation went very smoothly, for him anyway. I dripped him for about 45 minutes. I cut away plastic from the large bag he was in, as he was all balled up in the corner of the bag. He took about 15 minutes, before he felt comfortable enough to come off the plastic. Even touched my hand! I did a waterchange on Inklets old tank and after a flood from the protein skimmer, cutting my finger, dropping all sorts of things, he is happily reciding under a large rock. Longest arms I have ever seen so I'm thinking maybe a Vulgaris??? My plan if he is one of the larger species, being he's in a 44 gal Pentagon, is once he outgrows the tank, offer him to the Aquarium in Pt. Pleasant!!! His size, his mantle is about an inch. Did not observe any type of eyespot. So far so good! I keep seeing arms feeling around! :mrgreen:

2. Octomush

Octomush Vampyroteuthis Registered

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....... I dunno how bout' um Ballmur or Rollie? Or maybe even Hubert, Mr. Cumberdale, or Milford? Or sonic? Or or or..... :talker:

3. Armstrong

Armstrong Vampyroteuthis Registered

Once I get an octopus, im thinking of naming it either "Armstrong" obviously...lol, or "Ruby", cuz I love that color.
    As for your octopus, it looks really neat and I like Octopuses with lon tentacles, but im not too sure of what to name it. Probably at least something that fits its features such as its long arms...but im still thinking on that one.

4. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Just couldn't resist another could you :heee: ?

Glad all went well with the acclimation :) Howabout Lanky or HAzel?

5. corw314

Hazel???? :shock: No I couldn't resist!!! Never can. Have gotten used to having one at both ends of my house!!!! :mrgreen: Now comes the paitience part....I know where's he's holed up....He has many hermit crabs, snails and shrimp to munch on so I'm sure he will be scarce for a week or so!!!

6. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hmmm....Salad Tentacles? (Don't ask, everyone it's a fairly strange and dark story)

Armstrong - how can you name your pet octopus after yourself?

I always thought Tolkein provides great names for pet octopi. Balrog, Gollum, Sauron, etc, all have the appropriate level of strangeness.

7. joel_ang

hazel was the first thing that came to mind after lanky, how about Ash or Jasper?

8. Octomush

Ahhhhh yes Salad Tentacles... :twisted: Nice Phil. Oh yeah and one of tolkiens characters is a ceph! lol!

9. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

We always ask the children who visit!!! That's how we get such ummmm interesting names :D

J

10. Octomush

YAY!

11. Octomush

Ooooo oooo oooo! Me I got another how bout Miss Grapes or Miss Pea Pod cuz the octos tentacles look like little pods or grapes! :P I know Im a genious no need to thank me....

12. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

how 'bout "legs" or "arms"?...or "mark"... :shock:

13. Octomush

U reallly think those are good names for an octo?

14. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

Now children, be nice to eachother.

I'd have to suggest Squidbits, myself.

15. Octomush

OR OCTOCHUNK!

16. joel_ang

Ooo, Squidbits i like... but it doesnt make much sense calling an octo squidbits. Squidward? He does look alot like a 6 armed octo.

17. corw314

Squidbits....Hmmmm....I asked my daughor about Henry and she broke out in song......"Henry the Octopus....." Didn't know if I could handle that.....Maybe I should let her 2nd Grade class come up with suggestions!!

May have to investigate Tolkein.....Anything strange and bizarre is fitting I think!!!

Haven't had any sighting since his arrival. Have seen the local shrimp running around with hermit crab legs, so I know he's eating! I am anxious to see what he is and what his behavior is like compared to bimacs!

18. Octomush

OOOOOOOOO MEEEEEEEEEEE I KNOW TOLKIEN NAMES!!!! Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat, Lugburz, Ufthak, Gandalf, Minas Morgul, Gimli! Man he sure does like the letter G doesnt he?

19. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Gilbert?

20. corw314

I like Gilbert!!!! Good one!!! Still no sighting, but hermit crabs are disapearing!!!!