Only 50 years left' for sea-fish

Well, just wait until we have overfished the DeepOnes food sources...you know they like red meat too.

Anybody ever thought "plague might be the answer"? Not that I want that, obviously, with what I do to my immune system nightly, but still. Hmmm... nah, just kidding:wink: .

The world's oceans are a shadow of what they once were. With a few notable exceptions, such as well-managed fisheries in Alaska, Iceland, and New Zealand, the number of fish swimming the seas is a fraction of what it was a century ago. Marine biologists differ on the extent of the decline. Some argue that stocks of many large oceangoing fish have fallen by 80 to 90 percent, while others say the declines have been less steep. But all agree that, in most places, too many boats are chasing too few fish.

OK, if I'm concerned about New Zealand waters/fisheries, then other countries really must be stuffed!

RIP Ransom A. Myers

We lost a big one on Tuesday.
Here's a new article about a paper he co-authored that just got published.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070329/ap_on_sc/sharks_shellfish

So not only are we losing one group of commercial and ecologically important species, but that loss is contributing to additional losses of other groups. Trophic interactions and cascades always fascinate me, but lately only in a terrifying way.

Cheers!

PS: If you haven't seen Sharkwater, you should!

Tuna will go the way of the buffalo, as did cod off the US north east, and most pelagic top predators eventually. People should not be eating billfish, they're far too beautiful (hugs nearby oak). In this case, my own continent Europe is the major offender; we take 40% of the world's catch for food. Good thing is, we don't eat orange roughy, but that's about the only good news...

Was reading the Nat. Geo magazine sometime ago, it's a recent issue and did quite a few articles on the dwindling fish population and stuff. One picture that caught my eye was fishermen dumping snappers, flatfish and other sand-bottom sea creatures back becuase they were bycatch, and only a handful of shrimp will be sold out of so much trawled up. Pretty moving pictures, anyone read them that issue of the magazine?

I did, just yesterday at O'Hare, actually. It's the picture with the guitarfish etc near Baja. Nasty, nasty, nasty sight :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back