One on the way!

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by mosthated, Oct 23, 2007.

1. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

I just ordered me a octo from liveaquaria.com i will be posting pics when it arrives, hopefully thursday!
    anyone considering i paid 95$ for octo/shipping

2. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

tell me how it goes, i was thinking about getting it, but i chickened out, since i didnt know what species i'd get. Keep us updated.

3. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

yeah i was going to let my lfs order me one but i just couldnt wait!

4. simple

as soon as you get it please tell me what type it is, because i might get one. Thanks

5. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

Here are a few pics of the sump i just setup for the octo tank, the water is still a bit cloudy because i just moved all that sand in the sump from the old 29gl fuge, 75gl tank with 55gl sump, what do you all think?
    I made tops for the 75 out of window screen kits you can buy at home depot, i just got a roll of the screen (fiber glass) and four of the little metal rail things and the plastic roller to put it in all in all the lids cost about 10$ and 30mins! that was way to easy.. i can post pics of them as well if anyone wants to see them...

Attached Files:

6. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

the room and wires are still a mess, i just got finished removing the old sump/fuge and installing this one, so please excuse the mess.

7. simple

I'd love to see pics of the top, because i have a roll of window screen and i was trying to see how i could build the top out of that. I didnt want to just superglue it on though..

8. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

very cool octo!
    mantel length is approx 1".
    it inked twice after i put it in the tank but i scooped most of it out! this is the only picture i took while it was acclimating,,
    any id's on its id?

Attached Files:

9. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I'm going to bet it's Abdopus Aculeatus, but mostly because of the "Indo-Pacific" thing... couldn't tell by the picture, which is a good picture by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Your tank setup looks great too! Maybe not cosmetically so much, but that's a great filtration setup.

Congratulations and good luck! :)

10. simple

Awesome! i think im gonna order mine right now...but before i do, does he seem healthy? is he active? has he eaten yet? how shy is he?
    Sorry for all the questions just want to know what i'm getting into...

11. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

he was active when i had him in the acclimation tank, i put him in the 75 and he has disapeared into the rock. looked fine to me, he was really cool to watch him swim through the tank when i first put him in there. I "think" he has all of his legs. I did not do a full examination of him, i just go home from work and my girlfriend has had him drip acclimating for 4 hours before i got home so i just took a quick snap shot and sent him into the tank, he was however healthy enough to run from my net and climb onto the capet before i picked him up. i fed the tank mysis, dont know if he ate or not the lights are out. he is sharing his tank with the basic clean up crew of crabs/snail and some stompella's and two dragonets. o and a lawn mower blenny, those fish should not ever bother him i wouldnt suspect, but if they ever become food for the octo i would be ok with that.

12. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

think i am going to name him BUD

13. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Hah, how fun. Sounds like you got a spunky one.

The Dragonets shouldn't be any threat no, but I wouldn't be so sure about that Blenny. They like to nip at things. Might not do it more than once though. :) Since they are generally sand and rock dwelling peaceful fish they probably won't last long.

14. simple

Ok i think ill get me one too...It will be my first. cant wait! Im sure hell be more thank happy in 110 gallon =D

15. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: Bud!

Bud looks very speckled in that pic, almost like granite... is that his normal coloration?

16. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

dunno, that was my first time seeing him, and only time i might add! lol i just got him, my girl told me he was bright white when she opened the box he came in, but when she put him in the acclimation tank, aka plastic storage bin, lol he turned the color in the pic, i guess to match the carpet.

17. simple

still hasnt come out?

18. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Some octos hide for a while before they will interact. If the octo you received is Abdopus Aculeatus, it should be pretty interactive. Try to get another few pictures of him when he comes out again.

19. simple

any updates with BUD?

20. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

he came out late last nite and was out this morning i didnt get any pics because my camera is dead, or the batteries are.. i gave him a piece of krill but i dont think he liked it. he just carried it around for a min, and droped it, it seemed interested in some of the hermit crabs but i didnt see him eat on, it was very cool watching him climb around, i just got home and i dont see him, i am sure he will venture out later..