One of my cuttles is a Serial Killer!!

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Out of my last batch of eggs, I had 7 babies. One grew much faster then the others. Recently I suspected cannabalism with the loss of the smallest baby. I woke up this morning to discover another dead and one with a big bite one him. Hiding in the corner was a really fat cuttle with a guilty look on his face.

Hes now in a seperate jail cell.

Perhaps I need to feed them more then once a day, but I think this guy has learned he can eat others. Or perhaps I shouldnt feed live shrimps at such a young age making them require larger prey.

Sigh...he ate my favorite lil guy and brought my cuttle count to less then I desired.

I hope I have eggs soon!

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Sorry to hear about the "black cuttle" of your family. Is it incarcerated for life??? I think cannibalism has less to do with feeding live food and more to do with crowding and size of cuttle.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sorry to hear that!

I have only had one incident, and it was after I hadn't fed in a couple of days. It might have to do with crowding and I did expand their territory after the event.
When they are growing, I feed them more than once a day.
This is what i found in my tank one morning;

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
I didnt really suspect the size of thier area to be the cause of the cannibalism. I feel they have enough space for they are pretty small still and have been out of the feeder nets for a while now.

I am probably going to give the big cuttle to a friend who has been setting up a tank for a cuttle for 3 months now. Hopefully I wont have to worry about Murder again after this...

bigGdelta

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
What did you name the killer? I suggest norman michael or freddie.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
How about Rocky?
(Since cuttles do look like rocks to the untrained eye...)

bigGdelta

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
micheal meyers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri