One more possible tank issue...

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by bagarius, Dec 23, 2009.

1. bagarius

bagarius Cuttlefish Registered

If my asking these noob questions is a problem, let me know and I'll stop. I just don't want to go through the trouble of joining another forum to ask the occasional question that can be answered here. Thanks for understanding...

Anyway, Ive found some worms in my tank. I know that they're bristle worms. From what I gather, these may not be harmful the harmful kind, but then again they may harmful in their own way. They're obviously not fire worms, but I haven't been able to figure out much beyond that.

Are these the good, clean up crew guys, or will these annihilate the corals I'm learning to grow in my budding reef tank?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

You can read just about any answer you can think of about brissle worms (I have never been able to validate the spelling either :oops:). Yes, they do serve as a clean up crew but how dangereous they are to different corals will get you different answers from experienced aquarists. Keeping the population controlled is difficult and varies from tank to tank. I have tons in my ceph tanks and very few in my larger reef. I don't have sand in the reef but the majority live in the LR. It may be that they use the sand to spawn but that is just guessing based on the only major difference in the tanks.

3. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I have a fair amount of them in my ceph tank (125 gal) and they dont seem to be a problem, I have never seen them messing with my coral, and they seem to do a great job cleaning. But like D said you will get a full spectrum of answers when it comes to Bristles.

4. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Whatever they are, I find them strikingly beautiful...

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

NOT!