• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

One lost damsel.

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Ummm... Where'd my damsel go?

I had three damsels in their total, two balcks and one yellow tail blue. Like two days ago I lost a black thats to say he died :angel:. So then I had 1 black and 1 blue. And today I can't find my black on? What should I do, will I have just have a higher bioload or what. PLEASE don't tell me I don't have move all my rock.

thanks, ryan

While it's not ideal to cycle a tank with living creatures, that's part of the process. Don't move your rock. Wait and add some hermits, and a serpent star when the parameters settle.

This is going to sound a little hard hearted but ... you will be better off if the fish don't make it through the cycle (recommendation for next tank - skip the live animals in the cycling, just use the live rock and add and overfeed clean up crew). Damsels are almost impossible to catch and are often (there are exceptions but as individuals, not as a species) aggressive. If you WANT the live ones them out of your tank, that's when you will find you may need to move your rock.

dwhatley;107879 said:
This is going to sound a little hard hearted but ... you will be better off if the fish don't make it through the cycle (recommendation for next tank - skip the live animals in the cycling, just use the live rock and add and overfeed clean up crew). Damsels are almost impossible to catch and are often (there are exceptions but as individuals, not as a species) aggressive. If you WANT the live ones them out of your tank, that's when you will find you may need to move your rock.

Well this also is going to sound a little hard hearted...I really wanted those 2 black ones to die, they were really aggressive, and as for the live cycle...I really wanted to start cycling and there was a delay in my rock shipment so, here damsels and as for the last one. He is a little blue fishy and he's the most passive fish ever and will let you scoop him up any time you want, I think I'll keep him.

Animal Mother;107960 said:
If he will allow you to catch him, he is most likely weak and sickly. I'd name it "Shark Bait".

Haha... Well he has always been like that since the day I bought the little fella, the yellow tailed ones are supposed to be less aggressive. And I don't think it's that he lets me catch him so much as he's scared so he hides in plain view...well no one ever said fish were smart.

Spence24;107961 said:
Haha... Well he has always been like that since the day I bought the little fella, the yellow tailed ones are supposed to be less aggressive. And I don't think it's that he lets me catch him so much as he's scared so he hides in plain view...well no one ever said fish were smart.

Well... some of them are smart. But some of them are truly dumb as rocks. I would say any fish that doesn't try to avoid capture is a good candidate for feeder material, sadly.

Animal Mother;107967 said:
Well... some of them are smart. But some of them are truly dumb as rocks. I would say any fish that doesn't try to avoid capture is a good candidate for feeder material, sadly.

At work one time I scooped up one of those bubble eye goldfish. I put him on display on my hand out of the water for about a minute. He just sat there and opened his mouth a couple times. Talk about dumb as a rock!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back