One lost damsel. | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

One lost damsel.

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
123
#1
Ummm... Where'd my damsel go?

I had three damsels in their total, two balcks and one yellow tail blue. Like two days ago I lost a black thats to say he died :angel:. So then I had 1 black and 1 blue. And today I can't find my black on? What should I do, will I have just have a higher bioload or what. PLEASE don't tell me I don't have move all my rock.



thanks, ryan
 

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,364
#2
While it's not ideal to cycle a tank with living creatures, that's part of the process. Don't move your rock. Wait and add some hermits, and a serpent star when the parameters settle.
 

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,000
Location
Gainesville, GA
#4
This is going to sound a little hard hearted but ... you will be better off if the fish don't make it through the cycle (recommendation for next tank - skip the live animals in the cycling, just use the live rock and add and overfeed clean up crew). Damsels are almost impossible to catch and are often (there are exceptions but as individuals, not as a species) aggressive. If you WANT the live ones them out of your tank, that's when you will find you may need to move your rock.
 

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
123
#5
dwhatley;107879 said:
This is going to sound a little hard hearted but ... you will be better off if the fish don't make it through the cycle (recommendation for next tank - skip the live animals in the cycling, just use the live rock and add and overfeed clean up crew). Damsels are almost impossible to catch and are often (there are exceptions but as individuals, not as a species) aggressive. If you WANT the live ones them out of your tank, that's when you will find you may need to move your rock.
Well this also is going to sound a little hard hearted...I really wanted those 2 black ones to die, they were really aggressive, and as for the live cycle...I really wanted to start cycling and there was a delay in my rock shipment so, here damsels and as for the last one. He is a little blue fishy and he's the most passive fish ever and will let you scoop him up any time you want, I think I'll keep him.
 

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
123
#7
Animal Mother;107960 said:
If he will allow you to catch him, he is most likely weak and sickly. I'd name it "Shark Bait".
Haha... Well he has always been like that since the day I bought the little fella, the yellow tailed ones are supposed to be less aggressive. And I don't think it's that he lets me catch him so much as he's scared so he hides in plain view...well no one ever said fish were smart.
 

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2,364
#8
Spence24;107961 said:
Haha... Well he has always been like that since the day I bought the little fella, the yellow tailed ones are supposed to be less aggressive. And I don't think it's that he lets me catch him so much as he's scared so he hides in plain view...well no one ever said fish were smart.
Well... some of them are smart. But some of them are truly dumb as rocks. I would say any fish that doesn't try to avoid capture is a good candidate for feeder material, sadly.
 

shipposhack

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
672
Location
Laie, Hawaii
#9
Animal Mother;107967 said:
Well... some of them are smart. But some of them are truly dumb as rocks. I would say any fish that doesn't try to avoid capture is a good candidate for feeder material, sadly.
At work one time I scooped up one of those bubble eye goldfish. I put him on display on my hand out of the water for about a minute. He just sat there and opened his mouth a couple times. Talk about dumb as a rock!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards